• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army Upgrade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New springs, and some smooth Ebony grips. I never liked medallions on grip panels. Ruger or Colt.

Attachments

• RA1.jpg
    RA1.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 8
  • RA3.jpg
    RA3.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 0
New springs, and some smooth Ebony grips. I never liked medallions on grip panels. Ruger or Colt.
Nice contrast on the stainless gun they really POP out, how do they feel? I don't like medallions either the simple elegance of the ebony is an excellent choice !
I made a set of grips out of moose antler for one of my double actions N frames that really turned out well. I think a set of moose stags would be another good choice on either a stainless or blued OA !

They feel very similar to the factory Walnut panels. I always liked Ebony on Stainless. It looks good on a blued revolver as well.

The older Ruger panels were Walnut. Some had nice figure to them. I think the real early versions had varnish, then they switched to oil filled. They also used Rosewood. The new panels today look like colored plywood.

That is a sharp looking add.

I would like a larger set of grips, the medallions don't bother me. Ideally grips would duplicated a DA revolver, those are my most comfortable though I know they don't match the style of an SA.

My mod was the Mag Spark and I am working out the issues (see the Mag Spark Post). Solid ignition and getting 2 inch 5 shot groups with it, the right ball and powder.

They also used Rosewood. The new panels today look like colored plywood.

I had a 41 magnum S&W N frame with Rosewood grips and loved them. I had transferred those to another N frame when the 41 magnum was stolen (I had it well hiden, ungh). The other gun was stashed elsewhere.

I had helped my brother out with a house build that went wrong during a not been done Winter build (not uncommon to finish a house you had framed up and a roof on but not foundation on up).

He bought me a replacement 41 Magnum and I put the Rosewood grips on that gun. Sold the other gun, sigh, Model 25 that I wish I still had though it seemed the right move at the time of short money.

That is a sharp looking add.

I would like a larger set of grips, the medallions don't bother me. Ideally grips would duplicated a DA revolver, those are my most comfortable though I know they don't match the style of an SA.

My mod was the Mag Spark and I am working out the issues (see the Mag Spark Post). Solid ignition and getting 2 inch 5 shot groups with it, the right ball and powder.
You might look into the old Shooting Star grips for the Ruger. Herret made them I believe.

Pretty. Matter of personal taste. I like stag or bone grips on my revolvers. Do save the original Ruger grips with medallion. They are collectible.
I like the look of stag, but they just don't work for me. They are either too bulky or too rough feeling. Bone (especially Giraffe) is quickly replacing Ivory, which is very difficult to get. I do have a set of Walrus Ivory grips on the way for an unmentionable.

I don't like the polymer, micarta, whatever. Definitely will keep the original grips. They are nicely figured Walnut. The current grips that Ruger are using are hideous.

Last edited:
I had a 41 magnum S&W N frame with Rosewood grips and loved them. I had transferred those to another N frame when the 41 magnum was stolen (I had it well hiden, ungh). The other gun was stashed elsewhere.

I had helped my brother out with a house build that went wrong during a not been done Winter build (not uncommon to finish a house you had framed up and a roof on but not foundation on up).

He bought me a replacement 41 Magnum and I put the Rosewood grips on that gun. Sold the other gun, sigh, Model 25 that I wish I still had though it seemed the right move at the time of short money.
A fella should keep every single one of those older S&W’s you come across. Ditto for the Colts and the good Rugers… I regret most every one I let go of…

Well to make up for it I have another ROA headed this way, one without the warning on the barrel.

Be interesting to see what bore is, cylinder has the bolt scrape drag on it but the finish looks good.

Funny, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it would be about "mods" . . . . I understand that changing grips may be an upgrade but so far, that's ALL it's been about!! As with all other revolvers there is plenty of room for mods . . . a bolt block, action stop, pawl spring and plunger upgrade, hammer replacement to a Super Blackhawk or Bisley hammer and other "stuff" . . .

Just thought I'd throw that out there . . .

Mike

Funny, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it would be about "mods" . . . . I understand that changing grips may be an upgrade but so far, that's ALL it's been about!! As with all other revolvers there is plenty of room for mods . . . a bolt block, action stop, pawl spring and plunger upgrade, hammer replacement to a Super Blackhawk or Bisley hammer and other "stuff" . . .

Mike

Greasing the business skids a bit Mike ? I'm picking on yah in jest and fully agree with the room for ROA mechanical upgrades although they are near indestructible out of the box if you can remember to turn the loading lever lock screw in ! 😄

Last edited:
Greasing the business skids a bit Mike ? I'm picking on yah in jest and fully agree with the room for ROA mechanical upgrades although they are near indestructible out of the box if you can remember to turn the loading lever lock screw in ! 😄

No, I stay rather covered up but just thought some Ruger enthusiasts may share some of their favorite "tricks" or upgrades. I don't mind sharing my "upgrades" if there's any interest.
Have to agree with you on them being pretty good right out of the box but think a SCREW to keep the "loading apparatus" TOGETHER would be a little less aggravating!! The "Belt Mountain" base pin and keeper setup is a nice alternative if you load off the gun or use it as an unmentionable.

Mike

Maybe I should have used the term "refresh" rather than upgrade, lol. This revolver has served me well. I put the Ebony grip panels on only because they didn't fit one of my unmentionables as well as I hoped. They fit the Old Army very nicely. I did put brand new Ruger hex-head nipples in the cylinder and replaced the springs.

The problem with off the shelf grips like Hogue is that not every grip frame is the same. There will be slight variances in each one.

Mike

Man I sure hope the hammer replacements become a thing…

Man I sure hope the hammer replacements become a thing…

Here's the "thing" ! 😎
Super Blackhawk and Bisely hammers.
20240416_103943.jpg

Here's a Bisely hammer and Bisely trigger-
20240417_134336.jpg

Here's the Super Blackhawk hammer-
20240417_160617.jpg

They are basically "drop in" replacements. The only adjustment I've had to do is "dress" a pawl (hand) a little. They're perfect!!

Mike

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back