• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle plug removal, field removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For some time now I've been considering doing some work on my Hawkin replica rifle, a 54 Cabela's, so that I can remove the plug from the end of the barrel,

I don't have a ball stuck in there and don't really need to remove it right now but I always had the perception that it , the threaded plug in the rear end of the tube, could be removed in the field with a couple of wrenches , one on the barrel and one on the plug you could thread it out,

I have heard of several cases over the last few years where the person had a ball stuck in the tube and was having a terrible time getting it out,

And I thought well why don't you just unthread the plug and then put in a fresh charge of powder, and solve the problem and have some fun at the same time.
But then I disassembled mine to have a look at it I realized that the plug has been threaded in , and such a manner that it's not designed or intended to be removed by hand, or in the field

It'll be quite a process to get it removed and then come up with some type of a plug that can be threaded in and taken out occasionally if ever needed to.

IMG_20240520_070035.jpg
IMG_20240520_070057.jpg
IMG_20240520_070107.jpg

Last edited:
My recommendation, @sethwyo, is to leave the breech plug alone as it is not necessary. A couple of reasons, starting with the fact that your rifles have chambered breeches, so there is always room behind the ball to remove the nipple (much easier to remove than the breech pug) to get some powder under the ball to shoot the ball out. A CO2 discharger will also remove most balls. If the ball can't be pushed to the breech, the nipple can be removed and a grease fitting installed so you can use a grease gun to push the ball out. Put a little bit of cleaning solution down the barrel to ease removal.

Probably will end up doing that, it seems like in the back of my mind I've always had the perception that that breach plug could be threaded out for maintenance.

Local libraries don't have any kind of books on such things anymore, searching the tangled web doesn't bring up a whole lot but it seems as though during the construction of rifles the threading was simply done because it was the only really mechanically sound apparatus available to put a sturdy breech plug in that wouldn't ever come out.

Probably will end up doing that, it seems like in the back of my mind I've always had the perception that that breach plug could be threaded out for maintenance.

Local libraries don't have any kind of books on such things anymore, searching the tangled web doesn't bring up a whole lot but it seems as though during the construction of rifles the threading was simply done because it was the only really mechanically sound apparatus available to put a sturdy breech plug in that wouldn't ever come out.
There are some muzzleloaders that are designed for removal for maintenance, but these are modern guns and the Modern Muzzleloading Forum is the place for those. Traditional muzzleloading breeches, while being threaded should not be removed for routine maintenance. For some designs, such as the Traditions/CVA interlocking breech, removal of the breech plug violates the warranty and even though it can be done by a skilled machinist, it shouldn't be done.

T/C used to make a breech plug removal tool. I suppose they can still be found. The tool was based on barrel size. But I would think unless you’re gunsmith, it is not worth the effort required to get them off. It is as if the breech plug is welded to the barrel. I’ve read some real horror stories about abused breech plugs that never came off.

My recommendation, @sethwyo, is to leave the breech plug alone as it is not necessary. A couple of reasons, starting with the fact that your rifles have chambered breeches, so there is always room behind the ball to remove the nipple (much easier to remove than the breech pug) to get some powder under the ball to shoot the ball out. A CO2 discharger will also remove most balls. If the ball can't be pushed to the breech, the nipple can be removed and a grease fitting installed so you can use a grease gun to push the ball out. Put a little bit of cleaning solution down the barrel to ease removal.

This.

The only time, so far, that I dryballed I removed the nipple, dribbled a few grains of powder into the bolster, replaced the nipple, and shot it out.

I dryballed because I let someone interrupt me during the reloading process and missed a step in the process when I went back and finished . Now if I am interrupted while loading I just hold up a finger for a second and finish reloading. Then I am happy to answer a question and respond to what the other person wanted.

Bob

I had some one give me a TC renegade barrel many years ago. He had tried to remove the breach plug and even with the special block and alot of heat no go. I tried several times and ended up making a tomahawk out of the barrel
I have had good success on NEW CVA' s new being the operative word. I would pull the breach and enlarge the flash channel on their flintlocks. That was long ago

I would never try to take a breech plug out in the field, you need a vise and padded jaws to keep from leaving tool marks in the breech and barrel. I have seen one that looked like someone put a pipe wrench on it.

I ran into a guy at Crockett days in Lawrenceburg Tn that said he took his TC breech plug out every time he cleaned his gun, he said he could remove it with finger pressure. I told him this was a bad idea but he was one of those "I have always done it this way" kind of guys.

What he had done with all the plug removal was wallow out the threads to the point that there was not much holding the plug in place.

I realized he was a lost cause and nothing I would say to him would register so I walked away.

The above video making plug removal a necessity as part of cleaning is absolute garbage.

Last edited:
This is an interesting video. They show removing the breach plug as regular maintenance.

That is a very simple plug to remove and not needed. Fact is most people have rifles for a lifetime without plug removal while keeping them well maintained. With the proper tools it can be done but there is a good potential for getting into trouble doing it. A last resort procedure, not a maintenance item.

For some time now I've been considering doing some work on my Hawkin replica rifle, a 54 Cabela's, so that I can remove the plug from the end of the barrel,

I don't have a ball stuck in there and don't really need to remove it right now but I always had the perception that it , the threaded plug in the rear end of the tube, could be removed in the field with a couple of wrenches , one on the barrel and one on the plug you could thread it out,

I have heard of several cases over the last few years where the person had a ball stuck in the tube and was having a terrible time getting it out,

And I thought well why don't you just unthread the plug and then put in a fresh charge of powder, and solve the problem and have some fun at the same time.
But then I disassembled mine to have a look at it I realized that the plug has been threaded in , and such a manner that it's not designed or intended to be removed by hand, or in the field

It'll be quite a process to get it removed and then come up with some type of a plug that can be threaded in and taken out occasionally if ever needed to.

View attachment 321316
Bad idea! Please just learn how to pull a ball and be prepared to do so. Your shooting experiece will be much happier!! Plugs are made to stay unless there is a gunsmithing issue. A stuck ball is a shooting issue.
Larry
Larry

Latest posts

Back