• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions regarding an England and Scotland trip in 2025

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waarp8nt

Smidgin Injun
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
East of the Kaskaskia River in Illinois Country
I have a question, but feel a little back story would be in order.

Wife and I have an Anniversary coming up, our 35th will be next year. We plan to fly to England next year for our Anniversary, drive through the country side to Scotland then venture to Ireland before flying home to the United States. My son and his wife will be traveling with us, it will be their 5th Anniversary.

My dad's side of the family allegedly came from England many generations ago and settled in the colonies. Mom's side of the family was possibly from Scotland.

My question is; would it be possible for my son and I to shoot a muzzleloader while there? I think it would be awesome to shoot on the land of our ancestors. We are both accomplished shooters, military and/or first responders. If it is possible to shoot, how would it work? Permits at a range only? I would love to go hunting, but a quick Google search doesn't show anything will be in season while we are there. Your advise would be appreciated.

I have a question, but feel a little back story would be in order.

Wife and I have an Anniversary coming up, our 35th will be next year. We plan to fly to England next year for our Anniversary, drive through the country side to Scotland then venture to Ireland before flying home to the United States. My son and his wife will be traveling with us, it will be their 5th Anniversary.

My dad's side of the family allegedly came from England many generations ago and settled in the colonies. Mom's side of the family was possibly from Scotland.

My question is; would it be possible for my son and I to shoot a muzzleloader while there? I think it would be awesome to shoot on the land of our ancestors. We are both accomplished shooters, military and/or first responders. If it is possible to shoot, how would it work? Permits at a range only? I would love to go hunting, but a quick Google search doesn't show anything will be in season while we are there. Your advise would be appreciated.
Well I know the licensing stuff will likely be a tedium What Ide suggest you contact the MLAGB and explain your fancy Ide guess some Branch will try fit you in at a range ..We in NZ recently teed up a shoot for visiting Americans. The NMLRA field Rep for NY no less. he was' tickled pink ' (He liked it !). hUNTING IS DIFFeRNT STUFF THERE ARE ESTATES WHO DO CATER FOR GUESTS RATHER FORMAL tWEED ATTIREd gILLIES AND ALL THAT GOOD STUF PRICEd ACCORDINLY bUt THEY DONT USE mUZZLELOADERS tHE uk LAWS SAY no bLACK POWDER GUN OR bOWS CANT POSSIBLY KILL bigger GAME !!! wHAT EVER DID rOBIN HOOD USE ?? mAYBE HAD A BACK UP 243 OR 270 ?( cAPS NOT PLANNED DAMNED E gAJETS. The 600 Nitro made to flatten poor Elephants is debared (dosn't have the Muzzle velocity !!) But you never know who will meet any BP shooter will find you some bunnys or better yet wood Pidgeon's that's hunting Theyve stopped transporting poachers to the Colonies ! Shotguns are less bother if it where me Ide contact MLAGB & the rest play by ear .
Regards Rudyard

Well I know the licensing stuff will likely be a tedium What Ide suggest you contact the MLAGB and explain your fancy Ide guess some Branch will try fit you in at a range ..We in NZ recently teed up a shoot for visiting Americans. The NMLRA field Rep for NY no less. he was' tickled pink ' (He liked it !). hUNTING IS DIFFeRNT STUFF THERE ARE ESTATES WHO DO CATER FOR GUESTS RATHER FORMAL tWEED ATTIREd gILLIES AND ALL THAT GOOD STUF PRICEd ACCORDINLY bUt THEY DONT USE mUZZLELOADERS tHE uk LAWS SAY no bLACK POWDER GUN OR bOWS CANT POSSIBLY KILL bigger GAME !!! wHAT EVER DID rOBIN HOOD USE ?? mAYBE HAD A BACK UP 243 OR 270 ?( cAPS NOT PLANNED DAMNED E gAJETS. The 600 Nitro made to flatten poor Elephants is debared (dosn't have the Muzzle velocity !!) But you never know who will meet any BP shooter will find you some bunnys or better yet wood Pidgeon's that's hunting Theyve stopped transporting poachers to the Colonies ! Shotguns are less bother if it where me Ide contact MLAGB & the rest play by ear .
Regards Rudyard

Never Heard of MLAGB and my limited searching didn't lead me to it. Very good idea! Thanks!!!

Why not contact Bisley and arrange a day there?
www.nationalshootingcentre.co.uk
And or...
https://www.bisleyshooting.com/

Failing that you would have to look for ranges on your route and contact them.

The mlagb is a good idea also
https://www.mlagb.com/

We love to shoot clays, Bisley might be a good option to for the ladies too. My wife likes to shoot clays and the daughter in law is quite competitive. Thank you for the links.

I think a trip to some museums with antique firearms would be more fun.

Looks like the Royal Armoury is in Leeds, on the way between cities we intend to visit. Hoping its open to the public, haven't found online if it is open to the public. Still searching. My wife liked the NRA museum at Fairfax, VA. Museums are a good idea for sure!

Having lived in the UK for 10 years, I would suggest considering their trains for your journey. First, they are much better than American trains, and it makes for an enjoyable trip while watching the countryside. Second, remember driving in the UK you're on the other side of the road, and many (most) of the rental cars are also manual transmission only. So, a lot to keep track of while driving there.

Well, my wife is from Wales and when we visit her family one year we made the same type of trip you are planning and it was great. There was a lot to see and do. Sorry, I can’t help with your shooting question but two of my wife’s cousins were and still are avid fly fisherman. They taught me to fly fish and took me to some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen. So, hence, expand your horizons and try something a little different. Also, not to worry, everyone speaks English…well kinda of!

Having lived in the UK for 10 years, I would suggest considering their trains for your journey. First, they are much better than American trains, and it makes for an enjoyable trip while watching the countryside. Second, remember driving in the UK you're on the other side of the road, and many (most) of the rental cars are also manual transmission only. So, a lot to keep track of while driving there.

Good point. I worked at a dealership years ago, I've drove a right hand Jeep with a manual transmission and it was awkward. Driving on the wrong side of the road would be an added challenge.

I think a trip to some museums with antique firearms would be more fun.
The Tower of London has a pretty impressive display of weapons and firearms. British Museum also has an impressive display of firearms and weapons. Of course the Royal Armoury is pretty awesome as well. If in Scotland, Edinburgh castle is a must see. Again a very impressive collection of older weapons and firearms including the Mons Meg. If you’re going to be there in August there is the Tattoo which if you can get tickets is quite the experience. And the Highlanders Museum / Fort George in Inverness is also an awesome stop. So many places, so little time….

Looks like the Royal Armoury is in Leeds, on the way between cities we intend to visit. Hoping its open to the public, haven't found online if it is open to the public. Still searching. My wife liked the NRA museum at Fairfax, VA. Museums are a good idea for sure!
I went to the Royal Armouries almost a year ago today and it was worth the visit. Its normally open to the public. They have a lot of good muzzleloaders, sporting and military. If you are in London, the Wallace collection has some high art muzzleloaders on display.

Unfortunately dues to the stupid gun laws we have here it will be very difficult to shoot on your trip, there is no provision any more for someone to walk onto a range to shoot. Gun clubs are allowed to have up to 12 open days per year which have to be organised 2 weeks in advance with the local police, if you can contact a shooter here his/her club may be able to arrange an open day for you, there is the opportunity to go stalking ( hunting for deer) but you will not be able to use black powder, rifles can be provided by the estate you shoot on (will be quite expensive though) The MLAGB, muzzle loading club of Great Britain, have their own ranges at Wedgnock just outside of Warwick (lovely town with nice castle) They may have an open day to fit in with your trip, best of luck.

Back