• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle plug removal, field removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rea
Bow your head and repeat:
I’m a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Quando omnes flunkus moritate:
“When all else fails, play dead.”
—Possum Lodge Moto—

Even Harold wouldn’t remove a breech plug in the field.
Really used to like all the uses for duct tape

I'll pull the breech plug after I knock out the front and rear sights to oil underneath them each time I clean.

An interesting thread ... Way too much to it to type on this tiny phone out in the boonies , reception is hit or miss , LOL .... Reading old books , ledgers , manuscripts , they regularly pulled the breach plug for maintenance etc. Ive messed with originals 18 and early 19 th century and not only did they have loose tolerances from their age , obviously ,but they didnt have fine threads ... Johnathan Alder pulled the breech plug in his gun because he missed a wolf , a native superstition , and scrubbed the bore ....seemed strange but he did it out in the woods . Obviously back a couple hundred years ago they didnt want their guns blowing up but they sure didnt have to worry about liability law suits either ... The fine threads and tight fit on barrels today are pretty tough . I can unbreech some barrels in the field but the majority of them , even flat breech faced plugs , no ...they are just too tight . Nothing wrong with that from a safety perspective but a pain when unbreeching a barrel is needed. Many rendezvous there was a gunsmith present with bench , vice and tools but not all of them unfortunately . Even in my shop it can be quite a chore unbreeching a barrel ....and some ....just impossible . Pick your firearm wisely . I love my flat breech faced flintlock trade guns ...to each their own though .

What @Rob M. said is true. The threads on the historic breech plugs were coarsely threaded and were easy to remove for maintenance. The original rifles I have seen can be observed to have coarse breech threads. They also have not been removed as it takes a solid bench vise and a long wrench to remove them. A few show signs of barrel shortening at the breech as the breech became very corroded and needed to be cut off to restore accuracy. None showed signs of regular breech removal.

Today we can make our threaded breeches more precise and thus less likely to leak high pressure gas and are far safer than the breech plugs that can be hand tightened. It is far easier to carry a CO2 discharging device to accomplish the same purpose as removing the breech plug to push out a stuck ball or to prepare for a thorough cleaning. I don't want my breech plugs to be easily removed in the field. In the purpose of full disclosure, I did run a dryball to about 6" from the breech of a flint lock rifle that I built. I didn't want to take the chance of bulging the barrel and my efforts with my ball puller resulted in a hole through the ball. I decided to remove the breech plug (that I had installed about a month prior) and remove the stuck ball and patch. I did document it on the Forum. I got several pages of the standard methods for removing a stuck ball. CO2 dischargers with touch hole adapters were not readily available at the time. So, I am not totally against the removal of a breech plug, but only as the last resort and definitely not for field maintenance.

Bad idea! Please just learn how to pull a ball and be prepared to do so. Your shooting experiece will be much happier!! Plugs are made to stay unless there is a gunsmithing issue. A stuck ball is a shooting issue.
Larry
Larry

So obviously I won't be removing the plug.
I didn't attempt it, I was looking for some information first and now I found it, that's why I am on this form is to learn some things

Back