• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper cartridge round ball size in .69 cal smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for reccos for proper/best .69 caliber smoothbore RB size when used in paper cartidge (ie loaded patched in paper per historical technique). I already have some 0.675 and some 0.678 balls to try cloth-patched over powder, but I presume they're too large to be used rolled in a paper cartridge? I'm told the bore has been miked at 0.690. Thanks.

The paper cartridge wraps will be thinner than a cloth patch. I wrap my paper cartridges to have a final diameter that is slightly less than the bore diameter of the barrel. @wiscoaster will need a cartridge former that is 4 paper thickness +0.005" smaller in diameter than the bore.

Dowel rods don't come in such precise sizes so the former will have to be made. While that's not much of a problem with a wood lathe (metal lathes can be used too), it is more likely that an electric drill will have to be used. Cut a 3/4" dowel rod to a 6" length. Find the center in one end and screw a large wood screw partly into the end. Cut off the head with a hack saw to have something that cane held in the chuck of the drill. Use files and sandpaper to turn the length of the dowel down to about 0.680. Wrap two turns of the cartridge paper on the dowel and verify that this is a slip fit. The 0.680" inside diameter makes it easy to slip the ball in the paper tube.

Now that you have some paper tubes, watch the making paper cartridges stickys and make some cartridges.

If I remember correctly, the historically accurate RB size for military style paper cartridges is .650 so they can load down a fouled barrel. You might find this a bit loose and less accurate unless you plan on firing 40 shots in quick succession. I'd recommend trying the .675 ones you have, but they might get hard to load after a few shots. Personally, I've had good luck with .662 sized RB with paper cartridges in my 69's.

The historical size for military muskets was .640” for the French and early US. Then the US increased the diameter to .650” in the early part of the 1800s (IIRC). Make your former about .005” over ball size. Newsprint or painters masking paper makes great wrappers. Feel free to ask any more particular details you wish to know, I just might have the answer in an old book about the subject. 🙂

If I remember correctly, the historically accurate RB size for military style paper cartridges is .650 so they can load down a fouled barrel. You might find this a bit loose and less accurate unless you plan on firing 40 shots in quick succession. I'd recommend trying the .675 ones you have, but they might get hard to load after a few shots. Personally, I've had good luck with .662 sized RB with paper cartridges in my 69's.
Good thought. Back in the olden times, combat was about filling the air with volleys, not super accuracy like we try to enjoy. We can clear fouling at our whim, not while being assaulted by massed volleys! Thanks.

Good thought. Back in the olden times, combat was about filling the air with volleys, not super accuracy like we try to enjoy. We can clear fouling at our whim, not while being assaulted by massed volleys! Thanks.
If the cartridge is made properly the paper can act as a patch for at least a couple of shots.

The historical size for military muskets was .640” for the French and early US. Then the US increased the diameter to .650” in the early part of the 1800s (IIRC). Make your former about .005” over ball size. Newsprint or painters masking paper makes great wrappers. Feel free to ask any more particular details you wish to know, I just might have the answer in an old book about the subject. 🙂
Hey, let's not publicize painter's paper! Next thing you know, it'll cause a shortage like the Cap thing! (just joking 😄)

Try an old phone book. I have saved the last three. Or maybe the natchez flyer that came in the mail. Not sure if shiny pages make a difference.

Try an old phone book. I have saved the last three. Or maybe the natchez flyer that came in the mail. Not sure if shiny pages make a difference.
The finish of the paper is not critical so long and it’s lightweight and doesn’t fuzz up. I used to use the remnant rolls of newsprint from a small local paper years ago. They were free. Don’t know if they will still give them away these days. The lightweight painters masking paper is great and still rather inexpensive.

Back