• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knifes etc. Hunting. Butcher. Pocket.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is what I've put together over the years. Nothing fancy its miss match but I like it.

I thought fancy too. Nice matching sets etc. But these knifes I like and use.

Some were gifts. Mom wife grandpa and a friend.

Attachments

• 20240520_200319.jpg
    20240520_200319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240520_200853.jpg
    20240520_200853.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
That's the sharpening I have been using.

My first strope I still use. Just a piece of wood trim from the garage and leather glued to it.

Norton stone.

The diamond cards for travel and field.

Attachments

• 20240520_205348.jpg
    20240520_205348.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
This is my hunting knife. I made it from a “high carbon” railroad spike. The handle is a leg bone from a deer I killed with a recurve. Cap and spacer are walnut from a tree here at home and the thin spacer is a piece of 300 win mag brass. I kept it pretty rustic cause I liked it. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 0
I thought of shopping for blades and making handles.

I like arts and crafts. Not good at it all but I like it.

I Re-build fishing rods. Those come out OK. I'm still learning.. I take cheap rods strip then redo them. I'm cheap and it's expensive.

Last edited:
This is one I plowed up in the garden a couple years ago. I made the handles for it and the sheath from scraps found in the garage. The words “Original Bowie” are very faint on one side of the blade. It gets scary sharp and is my favorite and most carried knife.

B733F8C6-AD75-4D7E-A781-53779F895507.jpeg

There's a few knifes a like... I like a boning knife for allot.

I had an old hickory boning knife. I want to get another with some sort of a sheath for it.

If I was to do a matching set and all. I'd probably buy Dexter.

That's it for knifes for me though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240521_033754_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_033754_Chrome.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 0
I have an Old Hickory butchers knife I got from an old time hardware store years ago. Had an inch of dust on the box, and a $12 pricetag. One of my favorite kitchen knives and it gets scary sharp. I smoked a pork butt for my daughter's graduation last week. I always smoke with the fat cap down. When that butt was done resting and I set it on to counter to pull it, I asked my wife to hand my my old hickory out of the drawer Some of the younger 20 somethings we're looking at me and my old knife like they were about to laugh, until I slid that blade alone the bottom of that butt without holding the top, then picked it up and slid that fat to the side. Nothing like a good high carbon knife and smoked meat.

My wife tried stealing knifes for the kitchen.

I didn't like them in the sink. The dishwasher or the draw. She's not allowed to use these knifes.

That old hickory took a month to get sharp 😆 file it good then stoned it a while I thought it was me but I kept going back and stoned it more. When it finally got there it was sharp.

It's like a butter knife out of the package. My wife didn't like a little rust. I don't know where that knife ended..

when there sharp it holds.

I'll sharpen kitchen knifes for her..

I don't understand how why I have to almost re hone the things sometimes. But a day sharpening everything is fun.

Trigger, I've been watching Black Bear Forge, too. Is he in Colorado? Filing the Old Hickory to get primary bevel might be overkill and take off more steel than you need to. A friend carried a file on his hunting trips to quick sharpen his gutting, skinning Old Hickory knives but they wore out sooner. If you have a strip sander 120 - 220 grit belts will do a quick and precise job. Or diamond hones. I like Spyderco TriAngle sharpening system with diamond and brown, white and super fine ceramic alumina rods. I make my own blades of O-1, 5160, 1095 alloys. I have avoided stainless because I do my how heat treating. Good to keep knives out of those who would abuse them like washing in dishwashing or throwing together in a kitchen drawer. They make plastic slide on protectors. I don't store my knives in their leather sheaths except when wearing.

This is what I've put together over the years. Nothing fancy its miss match but I like it.

I thought fancy too. Nice matching sets etc. But these knifes I like and use.

Some were gifts. Mom wife grandpa and a friend.
Ive got one similar to that curved blade in the first picture. It is high carbon steel. I "plowed it up" at a thrift store for less than a buck years ago. I do all of my deer skinning with it. Good choice there. And that cleaver looks like it may be of older design with a good thick blade. That thing should last longer than you do. Thanks for sharing.

Yea I think he is in Colorado.

I had the lansky deluxe set.. I had it mounted to a bench. Just a screw threw one half into a 2×4... I'd wedge the knifes right into it.. I made it one sided and held the knife better. Worked good

I didn't like the jig the way it was. 😕

Accusharp phase too. I used those at first.

I had the stone all along. Just takes some learning and practice to use.

This is my hunting knife. I made it from a “high carbon” railroad spike. The handle is a leg bone from a deer I killed with a recurve. Cap and spacer are walnut from a tree here at home and the thin spacer is a piece of 300 win mag brass. I kept it pretty rustic cause I liked it. 🙂
That is a nice looking knife there.

I thought of shopping for blades and making handles.

I like arts and crafts. Not good at it all but I like it.

I Re-build fishing rods. Those come out OK. I'm still learning.. I take cheap rods strip then redo them. I'm cheap and it's expensive.
I buy lots of my wood working stuff from Woodcraft of Nashville. They have a store about 65 miles north of me but they also have an online store. They have completed blade blanks of various shapes and sizes and also handle material. Even have knife making kits. And I also have been known to buy blade blanks on eBay to use for patterns for some if the knives I make. If you do buy a blade and finish it yourself, be sure to change something about it so it is uniquely yours.

My uncle gave me that cleaver. Broken handle.

I have to do a better handle for it. But yea it's heavey too.

That knife. Victorinox boning knife. I got from a butcher in Michigan. I had a deer turned into sausage. I seen him working and I had to ask about the knife and all.. he gave me a knife. That knife I use allot.

When you get tired of that knife, you can drop it off over here on South High Knob. 😉

Back