• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just one book?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check this site out. On-line books and journals regarding the fur trade. THIS is documentation I can relate to (it's free and easy to find ::). The Library section has books and journals, the Archives have manifests and business records (for instance: Jedidiah Smith had yellow buttons and hundreds of yards of cloth 'tacking' [tick?] in stock in 1831).

http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm.html

That's a hard decision? Guess I'd go with; The River Of The West (The Adventures of Joe Meek)... I like Joe Meek! :applause: Besides, I have it and haven't read it yet. :redface:

Give Your Heart To The Hawks Author: Winfred Blevins. This is a very good accounting of the Mt. Man era. Well worth reading for anyone interested in that era.

Across The Wide Missouri by DeVoto would be a good choice. Also, A Majority Of Scoundrels by Don Berry.

I guess that I just like to read the stuff thats in their own words as much as possible. I would have a tough time deciding between three.

Wah-To-Yah and the Taos Trail 1847 Memoir by Lewis Garrard. This is the classic that gives us a sence of how the trappers talked and spun yarns.

James Clyman Frontiersman. the Adventures of a Trapper and Covered-Wagon Emigrant as Told in His Own Reminiscences and Diaries. This was also reprinted as a paperback with the title Journel of a Trapper

Not to be confused with Journel of a Trapper by Osborne Russell. This guy admits to some failures as a greenhorn. Great read

Latest posts

Back