• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I FINALLY shot my Woodsrunner for the first time!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And it didn't go so good. I'm using a .530 ball and my pillow ticking ( measuring .015") lubed with some EVOO. She was a virgin today so she got the good lube. :D I kinda figured this was gonna be a bit loose in this bore. Sure enough it starts and rams home way too easy. windage is good but like most Woodsrunner's I've read about she shoots about a foot low and the group was big. I didn't care though I was having a ball!! Now this is the first time I've ever shot a Flint lock. DId I mention she's FAST, she makes fast locks look NOT FAST! :D Seriously, the dang thing is almost as fast as my cap locks. And it doesn't take very much powder in that pan, way less than I thought. I'll get some thicker pillow ticking today and try that. If that doesn't work, I'll get a .535 mold. I gotta get that group to tighten up before I mess with my sights. Part of the big group today may have been the newbie rock lock flinch. I tried my best to control myself but I may have winced a few times. What a nice Rifle!!

I have been known to make questionable assumptions, but I feel that a properly tuned flintlock has faster ignition than a cap lock. The primer powder pan rests right next to the main charge, it does not have to go down a channel like a cap gun. I think that a thicker patch with the .530 ball would be better. Welcome to the world of Rock Locks!

Attachments

• IMG_5058.png
    IMG_5058.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
windage is good but like most Woodsrunner's I've read about she shoots about a foot low
I had to go with the taller rear sight, fixed the same problem you are dealing with.
You could have gone outside the box and lowered the front sight to raise the point of impact. Interestingly, most want a new gun to shoot low so they can carefully file down the front sight to raise the POI to their liking as they work up a load, and do not consider shooting low a problem.

You could have gone outside the box and lowered the front sight to raise the point of impact. Interestingly, most want a new gun to shoot low so they can carefully file down the front sight to raise the POI to their liking as they work up a load, and do not consider shooting low a problem.
Agree but I have both sights to play with.

And it didn't go so good. I'm using a .530 ball and my pillow ticking ( measuring .015") lubed with some EVOO. She was a virgin today so she got the good lube. :D I kinda figured this was gonna be a bit loose in this bore. Sure enough it starts and rams home way too easy. windage is good but like most Woodsrunner's I've read about she shoots about a foot low and the group was big. I didn't care though I was having a ball!! Now this is the first time I've ever shot a Flint lock. DId I mention she's FAST, she makes fast locks look NOT FAST! :D Seriously, the dang thing is almost as fast as my cap locks. And it doesn't take very much powder in that pan, way less than I thought. I'll get some thicker pillow ticking today and try that. If that doesn't work, I'll get a .535 mold. I gotta get that group to tighten up before I mess with my sights. Part of the big group today may have been the newbie rock lock flinch. I tried my best to control myself but I may have winced a few times. What a nice Rifle!!
Congratulations on getting her shooting. Suggest .020 patch and a 70-80 gr charge, that should tighten up your groups with the .530 ball, which is what I use. Track of the Wolf has taller rear sights that I use, but they do require fitting to the dove tail and filing down the height. Kibler also offers taller rear sights for sale now, but from the measurements I've seen they would still require a little front sight filling. At the age my eyes are I shoot best with both sights standing tall.

I'm afraid as low as mine was hitting today, there won't be much front sight left if I have to file that much. I may just order the tall rear anyway its not that expensive. I need a few other do dads from Kibler anyway.
You do know that the math is pretty simple to figure out the theoretical sight height change required if you know the distance between the sights and from the gun to the target.

I am old, darn it, well it beats the alternative.

The small little nubbin of a front sight that was left after sighting in my Woodsrunner was correct for the time period but my old eyes had trouble with it, I ordered a taller rear and a new front sight from Kibler and started over and am happy with the results.

Formula, distance between sights in inches multiplied by distance to move sights for correction on target (hitting 1" low for example) divided by distance to target in inches equals amount to file/adjust.

example
37" between sights hitting 1" low at 50 yards

37 X 1 /1800 = 0.20555

Thanks for the info. I like the proven back woods way of zeroing. Shoot, couple passes with file shoot again. :D I bet my front sight will be no different than all the other woods runners when sighted. Not much left. I will go out here to the man shed and do some measuring and figuring for fun though after no less than TWO cups of dirty bean juice. I'm still gonna order the tall rear sight from Kibler. I don't care about the rifle looking the period correct part, I want to poke holes in deer.

It's like TDM said -- I had the same issue with the sights.. Put on the taller rear and it solves the issue. A 530 ball and thicker patching - like 018 should work fine. And you have the right idea -- takes time to load a flintlock so it should take time to file that front sight. Little at a time. And you'll be ok.

@Frontstuffer070

The wince should go away after shooting it a bit. Just keep your fingers away from the pan when it goes off and you’ll be fine.

It was a painful learning experience for me, and I was left with a souvenir reminder of the experience.

A moment of inattention was an eye opener, for sure. I hold with my left hand further up the stock now and get good results.

IMG_4106.jpeg

IMG_5632.jpeg

Awesome. Word of advice... practice with your rifle before changing sights.. I have a Woodrunner .50 and was my first shooting a flint lock...After getting over the flinching with the pan, and ect the groups began to tighten up ...even when using a bench rest. that be beauty of flintlock shoot in fiddling with powder loads, patch thickness, ect to get the best marry for the gun...I have purchased the taller sights but did not install them because with practice and a good load workup, group improved... Hope this helps ..enjoy the gun its a great product.

I am old, darn it, well it beats the alternative.

The small little nubbin of a front sight that was left after sighting in my Woodsrunner was correct for the time period but my old eyes had trouble with it, I ordered a taller rear and a new front sight from Kibler and started over and am happy with the results.

Formula, distance between sights in inches multiplied by distance to move sights for correction on target (hitting 1" low for example) divided by distance to target in inches equals amount to file/adjust.

example
37" between sights hitting 1" low at 50 yards

37 X 1 /1800 = 0.20555
Just took a screenshot of that! Thanx😊

@Frontstuffer070

The wince should go away after shooting it a bit. Just keep your fingers away from the pan when it goes off and you’ll be fine.

It was a painful learning experience for me, and I was left with a souvenir reminder of the experience.

A moment of inattention was an eye opener, for sure. I hold with my left hand further up the stock now and get good results.

View attachment 321933

View attachment 321935
I knew a few characters from way back that had tattoos/freckles like that on the left sides of their faces. The good old reenactment days…..

Back