• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got these two 2’x 8’ raised beds cleaned out here at the camp. They’re inside a fenced enclosure with other raised beds around the fence line. Dug around in the compost heap and was able to get 3/4 wheelbarrow load to mix in the old soil. Planted 2 rows of Kentucky Wonder pole beans in each bed. I usually get a good harvest from this spot. In another couple of weeks I’ll plant some okra in 2 or 3 of the other beds. Nothing else here this year.

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpeg
    IMG_3552.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
It's been about a year since the horse pen (and a donkey) across the roadway has been vacant. I used to get my "fertilizer" from that round pen.Is the old dried up manure that's been rained on still high in nutrients? I've been making a tea by soaking it in a bucket of water.

image000000.jpeg
Yesterday was Agriculture Day at the museum. My friend Greg (in the white cassock at left) and I harnessed the power of dozens of children over the course of the day and got about 100 corn seedlings planted across 2 sites. In a couple of weeks we’ll drop the next batch in. I don’t mind admitting that I was awfully sore this morning.
It’s Cherokee Gourdseed, if you were wondering. Assuming the deer and raccoons don’t get it all, I would like to parch some in the fall.
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_5413.jpeg
    IMG_5413.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
I seldom ever get a 100% stand on my Okra and didn't again this year. I got a dozen cups (14 actually) almost ready for filling in the skips. They are 10 days old. Now I'm got 8 more seeds soaking for more "cup planting" tomorrow.

This may not qualify under gardening but are growing next to it. Blackberrys and Pinot noir vines are keeping up with tomatoes.
Black berries are the state weed of WA, they are the scourge of every gardener here, Himalayan Blackberries, not native to the state and they are literally EVERYWHERE, and the only thing that kills them is Crossbow and as of last year you can no longer buy it here! too many Salmon huggers!

Black berries are the state weed of WA, they are the scourge of every gardener here, Himalayan Blackberries, not native to the state and they are literally EVERYWHERE, and the only thing that kills them is Crossbow and as of last year you can no longer buy it here! too many Salmon huggers!
Mine are a thorn less blackberry. The Arapaho thorn less from the University of Arkansas. Makes some big fat, nice sweet berries. I wish I had more, makes for some good eating and a very tasty wine. Grand daughter is anxiously waiting for them to ripen so she can pick em. Blackberry jelly emmm yes!

Picked up 15 bags of Cypress mulch and spread it out thickly around the raised beds and thinned out my yellow squash and zucchini that have sprouted nicely so far. Thinned out the volunteer tomatoes too.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.jpeg
    IMG_3578.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3579.jpeg
    IMG_3579.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3580.jpeg
    IMG_3580.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 0
No real update yet, but I'm seeing yellow blossoms on a few of the tomato plants. About time to give those a little Epsom Salt. Do y'all do that as well? A sprinkle of Epsom Salt at first sign of blooming?

No real update yet, but I'm seeing yellow blossoms on a few of the tomato plants. About time to give those a little Epsom Salt. Do y'all do that as well? A sprinkle of Epsom Salt at first sign of blooming?
I had my first tomato sighting this morning before I left home. Almost marble sized, but I didn’t take a photo.

I had my first tomato sighting this morning before I left home. Almost marble sized, but I didn’t take a photo.
I haven't really looked but it would not surprise me if there was a "marble" or two out there.But I did notice the yellow blossoms, got a few on my squash as well.

So far the only trouble I'm having is the potatoes.They are not coming up yet. Maybe the ground is too cold or I planted them too deep? But I'm not really worried about them. I really wanted them for their flowers anyway.To help attract Bees.

Back