• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firearms on the Oregon Trail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, but I saw some statements which are bound to set some of our members teeth on edge.

I hope they drop by and take the time to read it. It will be interesting to see what some of the comments are.

From some of the quotes by Potter, I almost got the feeling that he would have prefered that the immigrants went unarmed.
I also didn't notice much said about some of the raids by the local indians where immigrant men/boys were killed (in spite of their guns) and women/children taken into slavery.

Good Post.

All trails start at St. Louis...

Say, wasn't there a muzzleloader shop thereabouts? :winking:

trail6.jpg

uhhh....the Oregon Trail started at many different points along the Missouri River. Westport (since swallowed by Kansas City) was the most popular for a while. The "jump off" points moved upriver until well into the late 1800's. A great book, if you can wade thru it, is "The Great Platte River Road". It was quite enlightening. Starting points varied from above Omaha all the way down to Westport. The Santa Fe trail originally began at New Franklin, Missouri, moved to the Sedalia area and ended up also around Westport. It too had many different staging areas.

Mama says supper is ready!!!

Vic

MM, on your map those trails start at Independence instead of St. Louis.
Zonie, Some of those writers did little or no research but just entered their own opinions. Anti gun? Well the story that more settlers were killed by accidentally shooting themselves than by Indians sure sounds like the the antigunners story that" If you have a gun for protection your more likely to be shot with it yourself than use it for protection". Interesting reading, though some of the firearms data was questionable.

They had to pass St. Louis to get to Independence, the map drawer ran out of parchment, that's why...

Here's the missing part... :winking:
00.map.mo.jpg

Although I haven't seen the Oregon Trail, I have read a lot about it.
That photo is just as I pictured much of it, complete with the deep "road".
As I understand it, there were so many wagons using the trail, the deeply worn trail is still very much in evidence in a number of places.

Makes the mind boggle.

Probably a good thing they didn't have to make an Environmental Impact Study before they could open it or the people would still be standing in Missouri waiting to leave. ::

It's truly a sight to see, Jim... In Wyoming a person can stand next to or walk on the Oregon Trail complete with deep ruts that have been worn forever into table rock where the wagons continued to roll along... Truly amazing! Ft. Laramie, Register Cliff, and Independence Rock, all good locations for lots of history... I feel another Wyoming trip coming on! :)

Latest posts

Back