• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DOES IT EVER GET CLEAN?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto on the Rig. I've used it for decades. I had my 45 flintlock stored in a closet in SE Alaska for several years where it rains 120 inches or more a year. A heavy coat of Rig in the bore and all the metal kept it in fine shape.
I am not familiar with RIG? Is it better than Barricade which I have been using?

So why would cold water keep the rust away? Thanks.
Hot water can cause flash rusting...I simply put a toothpick in my vent hole, fill the barrel with tap water and then pour the water out, then repeat...Run several patches down the bore to dry and pour a little rubbing alcohol down the bore, pour out...Then dry with patches, spray with WD-40, swab and then run a patch down with your favorite gun oil, done...

I do let the water soak a few minutes to soften the fouling, I typically clean my lock while doing this but by pouring water down the barrel you are pouring out most of the residue left in the barrel...

I used to mix MAP, buy special solvents, etc and through the years found that they simply are not needed for black powder...

Edward Mead's 1851 "Illustrated Treatise Of the Rifle, Shot-Gun, and Pistol" advises "Hot water should be used, making the operation as quick as possible. If t,he barrels has become leaded and you have not the regular cleaning rod with scraper, scratch brush, &tc, it can be scoured with fine sand or brick-dust, which should be used with water; this will effectively remove the lead. The effect of hot water is to warm the barrel, which greatly accelerates its being wiped dry to prevent rust. It should be oiled inside and out after washing. If used soon, the inside oiling may be omitted. The best kind of oil for the purpose is the pure sperm or bear's oil . Sweet oil should never be used: it contains a vegetable acid and is sure to rust the gun."

Meade was a contemporary of the Hawkens, operating in St. Louis at the same time. Instructions are for "stub twist, wire twist, and damascus".

Edward Mead's 1851 "Illustrated Treatise Of the Rifle, Shot-Gun, and Pistol" advises "Hot water should be used, making the operation as quick as possible. If t,he barrels has become leaded and you have not the regular cleaning rod with scraper, scratch brush, &tc, it can be scoured with fine sand or brick-dust, which should be used with water; this will effectively remove the lead. The effect of hot water is to warm the barrel, which greatly accelerates its being wiped dry to prevent rust. It should be oiled inside and out after washing. If used soon, the inside oiling may be omitted. The best kind of oil for the purpose is the pure sperm or bear's oil . Sweet oil should never be used: it contains a vegetable acid and is sure to rust the gun."

Meade was a contemporary of the Hawkens, operating in St. Louis at the same time. Instructions are for "stub twist, wire twist, and damascus".
Apparently I sort of stumbled into this procedure independently. I figured out how AI was getting flash rusting; when I started out, I used boiling water. I did see some flash rusting with this methodology. Later, boiling water became tedious, so I switched to hot tap water and found that it worked just fine. Now, if only I could actually get real sperm oil or bear grease.... Then again, Bore Butter seems to work well.

I can drive myself almost plumb crazy trying to find the very best single solution to cleaning and preserving Black Powder/Subs firearms as if there even is one. I have pretty much settled on using genetic windex, or even cheaper car windshield washer fluid in the field, again when back home followed by several patches with Ballistol (love that stuff).
Seems to work fine.

In the process of shooting, what do you think is the effect of burned on patch lube? Beeswax in the lubes coats the bore. No water or solvent can cut beeswax. I’m convinced that brown streaking I get on dry patches is lube residue.

In cleaning other BP firearms I used to run BB patches down the barrel as a final step. I thought the barrel was clean but the patches would come out black and gradually after many patches come out clean. Leaving a BB film in the barrel and come back a few days later would result in a patch that was brown/black again. After a couple of patches it would be clean and subsequent cleanings days later would show no brown. It was then that I realized that the BB was dissolving the burn/burnished on lubricant.

Back