• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

carrying loose shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several small shot pouches I’ve made, plus a measure. I tend to carry roughly 10-12 shots worth, which is more than enough for me.

IMG_2024-05-21-083758.jpeg

Little Dogwood flower detail on the antler tip reinforcements

IMG_9524.jpeg

I collect old .375" end mill tubes with rubber caps from work. Measure out a few loads into them. Both powder and shot. Then load both barrels and carry a capper with me. Usually have 4-5 total rounds available. I only turkey hunt, so if 4/5 rounds isn't enough its time to quit and head back to the work shop.

Traditional 35mm film cans for most days at the range. In the woods its CVA(?) shot flask I bought years and years ago (maybe before I got my 1st shotgun?) and sometimes paper tubes ready to rip n pour. I am mostly turkey hunter with shot guns but have brought home ducks n squirrels (squirrels get .36 mist the time).

I also made this little guy from a busted horn. It holds about 9-10 shots worth of #7 1/2 shot and fits in the shooting bag. Usually good for a morning of squirrel hunting.

4EC97770-DABC-46FA-B858-1D954DC2C04A.jpeg

Several small shot pouches I’ve made, plus a measure. I tend to carry roughly 10-12 shots worth, which is more than enough for me.

View attachment 321701

Little Dogwood flower detail on the antler tip reinforcements

View attachment 321702
Wow, they are some really nice pouches. I don’t hunt anymore so I only shoot rb’s out of my smoothies, but if I did shoot shot, I definitely would make you a offer on one of those beauties!

I use a prescription pill bottle, works great. Secure lid and they are wide enough to just dip the shot out with a shot dipper. Can it in my bag.

I’ve tried to make shot pouches but they don’t turn out near as nice as the ones shown in this thread so I gave up on that for the time being.

I use a prescription pill bottle, works great. Secure lid and they are wide enough to just dip the shot out with a shot dipper. Can it in my bag.

I’ve tried to make shot pouches but they don’t turn out near as nice as the ones shown in this thread so I gave up on that for the time being.
This is what I do as well. A bigger one for shooting clays and a the normal size for hunting.

Typically I carry pre measured loads in test tubes I got off amazon, they have a very secure top. I just found that a zicam bottle will hold a few pounds of shot, and they have a pill bottle style secure top

For general load work-up, I carry shot to the bench in empty pourable relish containers.

60314e7f-c549-4bf0-89e9-6b7f32c905eb_1.b155b6c746fb748a8cb50e34e2f01e94.jpeg

For carrying in the field, I have a MTM 50 cal slip-top case:
71qtQRYzaBL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

I have plastic stoppered vials that I got off E-Bay that I fill with powder and shot.
s-l1600.webp

I guess I'm just vial by nature.

Traditional 35mm film cans for most days at the range. In the woods its CVA(?) shot flask I bought years and years ago (maybe before I got my 1st shotgun?) and sometimes paper tubes ready to rip n pour. I am mostly turkey hunter with shot guns but have brought home ducks n squirrels (squirrels get .36 mist the time).
LOL !! Thats funny ... I used 35mm film containers too :)

Back