• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker tent in the South

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Great site, and great folk from what I've seen.
Here's my question: I've got some land down here in the Steamy South, and tend to spend winters on it. Building, but for now I camp. Last year I stayed in a "Vardo" I built (a kind of Gypsy wagon), but it's done and I needed something else. I recently bought a 10' x 10' Baker tent. Nights can get cold so I'll have to button up, but days can get hot, even in January and February. Seems like the Baker should give the combo I need for down here. Open and shaded during the day, nice outdoor place to sit by the fire in the evening, and a way to close and fire up the little stove and huddle under the trapper's blankets at night. What do y'all think? Did I make a good move, or have I screwed up?

Seems like the Baker should give the combo I need for down here. Open and shaded during the day, nice outdoor place to sit by the fire in the evening, and a way to close and fire up the little stove and huddle under the trapper's blankets at night.

I have an old baker and it's been great. You can lift the sides during the day if it gets real hot and have a nice breeze blowing through. At night, you can position one of the "door panels" to break the wind. With a small fire under the awning, it's pretty cozy.

It's not the most period correct tent, but it is accepted at many casual "Rendezvous".

I slept in a Baker tent many nights when I was a Boy Scout. They are fine tents, but if you go to certain rondys or reenactment camps, they won't let you use it--not PC to many events. But, on your own property, who cares? Many of my buddies have one pole pyramids which they swear by as comfortable tents, but they are not allowed in many camps anymore, also....sometimes I think we carry this PC a bit far, but so be it....for my chosen period, I need a wall tent, wedge tent or marquis--all of which are a minor pain to carry and raise...... :shake:

A wedge tent can be opened on one side, which then becomes an awning. You just need two poles and some rope. A very simple and practicle tent and sets up very easy and quick. I had a 10x10 until recently, now have a 12x12 wedge with a bell because the wife decided she wants to start going with me. I have yet to even set the new one up, and I'm already missing my 10x10, I'm not sure how well this big one is going to work out.

I also camped in medium sized wedges for many years. I have also acquired a camping wife, along with the trailer full of camp gear that came with her! The wall tents are a pain. I'm thinking about a bigger wedge myself.

Back