• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squaw root is also known as Cancer root since it’s a parasite that feeds off oak and beech tree roots. I have a lot of both of those trees. It doesn’t affect the trees much, so there really isn’t much to worry about, except it can make your heart skip a beat when you’re looking for morels. 🙃

It’s not edible.

I dunno, I haven't paid much attention to it lately. It just stays swollen but to heck with it, I have things to do so let er swell. I can deal with what little pain there is.
I might have missed it, but do you wrap with an ace bandage? Will help with excess swelling / water retention, helped me quit a bit when I twisted my lower leg off.

I just coned the barrel of my .32 Crockett. Those tiny balls and and my big fingers make loading, especially with gloves on was pretty impossible. The balls start easy now with thumb pressure, and loading is much easier. Love this gun.
Unfortunately where I live in Vermont we only have a fall season, opens September first. But we do have a “red squirrel” season that runs year round. Those little buggers chew up the sap lines that the maple syrup makers put out, so getting permission is pretty easy.
A loading block will help a lot.

Red squirrels make smaller targets. Good practice.

I might have missed it, but do you wrap with an ace bandage? Will help with excess swelling / water retention, helped me quit a bit when I twisted my lower leg off.
No I do not. They put on an ace bandage after surgery but they removed it within a couple of weeks. It was only to help cover up the incision. I was told not to use one. Go figure!!

Squaw root is also known as Cancer root since it’s a parasite that feeds off oak and beech tree roots. I have a lot of both of those trees. It doesn’t affect the trees much, so there really isn’t much to worry about, except it can make your heart skip a beat when you’re looking for morels. 🙃

It’s not edible.
Indeed. I'm seeing lots of it this year as opposed to most every year. They grow in mature forests. I love seeing things like those.

Was 86 here today, I started mowing about 11:30 when the dew was all burned off, had several run in front of me mowing. Stopped to get a drink of water and one came running out of my garage! I guess they figure I feed them, so they can do as they please🤣

Good to see you went with the brass rod Ed.
Watch em buddy, they may want more.

The brass rod does look better than the factor one, that's for sure.

I know about mowing when it's in the upper 80s and 90s... I don't like it.

A few time you stated squirrel season in illinois stated in August and ya had a couple weeks of hunting, and thought wait a minute it stated on September 1st. It was driving me nuts to say, I thought and remember in mid 1990s my brother told me that they changed it to August 1st. I'm like what the heck. So it hit me you lived in the Southern hunting zone I lived in the Northern hunting zone. So I got on line and found this from 1978...
The way it was...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240520_194534_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520_194534_Chrome.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 0
Sept 9 in AL. You know, that's not really that long a wait - 3.5 months or so.

PS just saw they closed the season for Fox Squirrels in the Bankhead NF. Wonder what's up with that: LINK

I get over there every now and then. Interesting terrain; unique.

Sept 9 in AL. You know, that's not really that long a wait - 3.5 months or so.

PS just saw they closed the season for Fox Squirrels in the Bankhead NF. Wonder what's up with that: LINK

I get over there every now and then. Interesting terrain; unique.
This will be the first year squirrel season is open year around. 2024/2025 hunting season starts July 1st. I will try in early morning and evening time. Try to beat the heat. Plus we will have so.e overcast days.

I don't anything about Bankhead NF, but I saw that when I was looking at hunting dates and the cost of an out of state hunting license. Fox are on the not legal to take list here in Florida.

A few time you stated squirrel season in illinois stated in August and ya had a couple weeks of hunting, and thought wait a minute it stated on September 1st. It was driving me nuts to say, I thought and remember in mid 1990s my brother told me that they changed it to August 1st. I'm like what the heck. So it hit me you lived in the Southern hunting zone I lived in the Northern hunting zone. So I got on line and found this from 1978...
The way it was...
🤣 Did you think you cracking up Honestly I didn't realize you guys were behind us. Only time I ever hunted outside of my usual stomping grounds was a deer hunt in Pike County some years ago. When did you guys start back to school Fred?

The way it was...
They may be getting a bit to comfortable Fred!
That was the first thing I did when I saw that factory ram rod, ordered a brass one.

I don't envy you one bit in the summer Fred. Maybe in February 😉

Wouldn't that be a sight to see!
Yes, it would have been one He!! of a site to see. I could just imagine all of being there, shootin, trappin fools by God.

Living has it pros and cons for sure. As far hunting, when it gets around 10 or 11 o'clock I'll sometimes find a nice oak hammock with some clear ground and a nice breeze and chill out, I know it was way different from hunting in Illinois, had to get it figured out, and adjust.

Up until about 4th grade we usually stated back after labor day, after that last week or so of August.

Yes, I thought I was suffer from a little Mind Slippage, as far September 1st or August 1st...

Back