• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple more later in the day after I got back to my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
This is one of my squirrel meters just a little while ago (1430 hours). He is, without doubt, teasing me. He knows I won’t shoot him.

See what I mean. He is eating on an old nut of some sort from last all. IMO, the squirrels are hungry right now. I think a squirrel can be seen all throughout the day. You just never know when or where. This definitely calls for some patients and determination. A major departure from high action, fall-time during squirrel stupid season. How much do you want to be successful and are you willing to pay the price to score some squirrels during such difficult times?

Attachments

• IMG_2171.jpeg
    IMG_2171.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
...IMO, the squirrels are hungry right now...

Not just squirrels in the olden days. Indians used to call early Spring "starving time". That’s when you find out if the food you stored up last year is enough; sometimes it wasn’t. It’s still going to be a while before anything you can sustain yourself on, plant-wise, is ready from the garden or in the woods. You've cleaned out most of the close-by wild game. Fishing became a serious endeavor. Scrounging for chestnuts, too, I imagine.

Last edited:
Okay fellers, here is a Kentucky squirrel update for you all.

Went to my happy hunting grounds today to mow for a lady friend. It was mid-day when I drove up the very narrow road. It was 11:10 when I saw my first squirrel. I saw one other on on the way to my destination. As I drove up to the location, the first thing that caught my attention was a gray squirrel up on her house. They like to nest in between the upper deck and the lower deck. The culprit saw me, climbed down the post, sat there on the rail for about 30 seconds, then departed up into the woods that I now hunt. These are the the same guilty critters that are eating holes in my friends cabin that has, so far, cost her 1K in damages. I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but this wreaks of action to me. Oh, its on boys, like big big time on.

However, the moral to the story is the change in the dynamics in the squirrel woods. It now appears as if our furry little friends (that I have the utmost respect for) has now changed to being seen all through the day, not just the normal early morning routine. Oh my, what's a die hard squirrel hunter to do?

With the hotter temps, such as today near 90*, plus the high humidity, it adds to the equation. What time to go out? How long can a feller stay out in such conditions before he wears out? How long can a feller remain out with a couple of squirrels hanging from his side with flies being all over them before a feller calls it quits for the day?

Fellas, l smell a big time challenge!

In the meantime, here's a couple of pics from this season so far. I pack light and I seldom carry my phone with me. I prefer to leave that darn thing in my truck, if not at home. So, the pics are not great.

This one officially kicked off the season.
Was 86 here today, I started mowing about 11:30 when the dew was all burned off, had several run in front of me mowing. Stopped to get a drink of water and one came running out of my garage! I guess they figure I feed them, so they can do as they please🤣

Good to see you went with the brass rod Ed!

Is your knee hot or warmer to the touch than other parts of your leg? Wondering about possible infection. Might be time for a follow up, at least a call, to the orthopedic DR.

More protein is a good thing. Maybe try some collagen powder like Bub's Naturals, I put it in coffee but would be fine in broth, or tea. Don't forget to get lots of Omega-3 fatty acids,,,, from and animal source,,, these are great anti-inflammatories.
I dunno, I haven't paid much attention to it lately. It just stays swollen but to heck with it, I have things to do so let er swell. I can deal with what little pain there is.

They've totally disappeared around my yard. I dunno, new hawk in area? Maybe they're off gorging on cicadas somewhere?
Some days I think about stopping their handouts (I have 3 squirrel feeders), but I kind of like watching the little fellers. If I fill the squirrel feeders, the birds get a chance to eat some of their grub before the bushy tails eat it all. Never a shortage of them around though.

As for their spring diet, I know they feed heavily on all the new tree buds. An over population can create a lot of damage doing that. And like @yellowhammer posted, they definitely eat a variety of insects. Even bird eggs are on their menu.
Indeed. Monday morning on one squirrel that I missed, I was focused on another one just a few feet away that was hanging on the side of a sapling looking at me. About the time I was ready to aim something else caught my eye. It was another squirrel closer yet and was inside the end of a big old dead log. The squirrel was digging inside in the dirt, or perhaps decayed wood. Considering the log was laying flat on the ground, I figured the squirrel must have been digging for insects. Either way, I missed. My own fault.

The next time I go in there I plan on looking in where that squirrel was digging to see what it might have been he was so interested in. I have been considering the fact that the squirrels omnivore traits may be part of their diets at this difficult time.

Also, it might be conducive to do an exam of the stomach contents on some squirrels now.

Keep the stories comin Ed. I’ve got this evening and tomorrow morning left to turkey hunt then all attention will be on squirrels. Your updates help. Good luck and drink lots of water!!
Jim, Monday morning there was a Tom gobbling pretty darn close to me while I was squirrel hunting. He gobbled for quite some time, until I shot a squirrel. The next time I heard him, he was way off in the distance to where I could barely hear it at all.

Jim, Monday morning there was a Tom gobbling pretty darn close to me while I was squirrel hunting. He gobbled for quite some time, until I shot a squirrel. The next time I heard him, he was way off in the distance to where I could barely hear it at all.
Man I love that sound. Nothing like it. I’ve spent a lot of money and drove lots of miles chasing them. Don’t regret a dime or the miles. But alas this is my last morning to hunt them this spring. LolView attachment 321901

I just coned the barrel of my .32 Crockett. Those tiny balls and and my big fingers make loading, especially with gloves on was pretty impossible. The balls start easy now with thumb pressure, and loading is much easier. Love this gun.
Unfortunately where I live in Vermont we only have a fall season, opens September first. But we do have a “red squirrel” season that runs year round. Those little buggers chew up the sap lines that the maple syrup makers put out, so getting permission is pretty easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3977.jpeg
    IMG_3977.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back