• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zuave Armi Jaeger kal 58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crv

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hallo i just got a old unfired Zuave Armi Jaeger made in Italy.Do any know the rifle twist and which bullet to use also when they was made and quality of the riffle

I can't help you with the rate of twist, but the Zouave has a calibre of .58, and ideally shoots a Minié bullet of one kind or another.

As for the dates, every Italian-made firearm since 1945 is required by law to have various proof marks, a maker's logo and a date code.

Depending on where it was proofed, it will have Gardone val Trompia or Brescia stamps, and if black powder, the letters PN [Pulvero Nero = black powder]. If in a cartouche/'box' then it is for export, if not, then for the Italian home market. If for export, it will also have 'FOR BLACK POWDER ONLY' or simply 'BLACK POWDER' stamped on th barrel.

For dates from 1945 to 1974 that date code has the Roman numbers I to XXX [1 -30]

After that it gets a little complicated -

AA - AI = 1975 to 1982
AL - AN = 1983 to 1985
AP = 1986
AS = 1987
AT = 1988
AU = 1989
AZ = 1990
BA = 1991 to BI = 1997
BL = 1998 to BP = 2001
BS = 2002 to BU = 2004
BZ = 2005
CA = 2006 TO CC = 2008

After that you are on your own.

tac

Thanks a million mine has AC stamped next to PN and other proff marks so its a wery early gun.It still had the thick messy stuff from the factory in the barrel and i belive selle. he said it newer has fired a shot.I bought a modern minni mould in 575 and one in 578.I gonna shoot 450-500 grains bullits with 50-70 grains Triple Seven FF at a distance off 100 meters (106 Yards) Does that work ok or ?

crv said:
Thanks a million mine has AC stamped next to PN and other proff marks so its a wery early gun.It still had the thick messy stuff from the factory in the barrel and i belive selle. he said it newer has fired a shot.I bought a modern minni mould in 575 and one in 578.I gonna shoot 450-500 grains bullits with 50-70 grains Triple Seven FF at a distance off 100 meters (106 Yards) Does that work ok or ?

Hmmm, glad to have been of some help to you. Can you not get the real thing - that is to say, Black Powder? Triple 7 is OK [especially for those modern long arms that we don't talk about on this forum] but there is nothing quite like the real deal to shoot an old-style gun like this one.

The real military service load was around 60gr of FFg, BTW, or, if you shot the British Enfield, around 68gr, so it was no dinosaur slayer, just a reliable man-killer. But if you really MUST shoot a fake propellant, like Triple 7, keep the loads gentle at around 50-55gr and see how you get on. I'm assuming that you HAVE actually measured the bore to get the right diameter mould?

Lots of luck - I must go, the real experts will be along in minute to tear me to pieces.

tac

I live in Denmark and the Police here has banned any new licence for bying Black power.I has used Tripple seven in my TC 50 kal Hawken and my Lyman Great Plains kal 45 and after i start to use fff in the 45 they go BOOM with a lot off smoke and performs realy good.I has not sluged the bore so thats why i bought a 575 and a 578 mould just to be sure I cant wait to fire those big slugs at 100 meters targets.I shoot a lot off regular handguns and military long guns but the old front loaders has won my hart

Back