• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave roundball accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert reed

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old Adler Rem 63 with fast twist rifling. It shoots good with minies and standard 60 grains FFG. I wanted to shoot prb as precast minies are $$$ and I have yet to learn to cast them well. So I packed up a box of powders, wads, patches and Hornady .570 and .575 home cast balls. First day without rain and cold, had to take advantage of it!

Tried several component combinations to find a balance of power, accuracy and POI with the non adjustable sights. The bore is tight, .575 balls won't roll down it. Seems to get tighter toward breech.

The load that it likes is 90 grains Goex FG, op wad, .570 ball and .010 patch fulminated by RWS 1081 musket caps.

This turned my $150 pawn shop find into a bullseye eraser. Ten rounds at 50 yards offhand leaves one fist sized hole centered on bull with no hold off or Italian windage. At 100 yards all shots stay in 4 to 5 inches from sandbag rest. Fouling is bad, requires wiping every 5 shots to load. I can live with that! :grin:

Minies can be a PETA to cast. You need your mould really hot and the pin too, that's that harder one. Lee makes a minie that casts a little easier. The pin is attached to the mould so it goes quicker and heats up quick.

Yup. It pays to experiment. POI changed 2.5 inches to right by switching from FFG to FG. I do better on cans than targets at 100 yards. Eyes are getting old.

Back