• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave Rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking of making another one of those purchases. This time I'd like something of the Civil War vintage (repro). You can usualy get the Remington Zouaves the least expensive on the used market. Anyone with experience with these? I see one made by Hy-Hunter from the 60's at a price of $250.00 What say you boys? :hmm: Thanks, squint

I had one back around '72, it was made by A. Zoli I believe. Fit and finish were pretty good. It had a three groove bore in a slow twist, about 1-72". Shot a patched roundball pretty fair but I never did get any sort of group with mini's. Maybe I just never found a mold that fit the bore properly, but I liked the roundballs anyhow so perhaps I didn't put enough effort into miniballs.

squint said:
Thinking of making another one of those purchases. This time I'd like something of the Civil War vintage (repro). You can usualy get the Remington Zouaves the least expensive on the used market. Anyone with experience with these? I see one made by Hy-Hunter from the 60's at a price of $250.00 What say you boys? :hmm: Thanks, squint

The Zoli guns have a reputation as a "better" brand of the Zouaves and I have found it to be so. $250 is about the price I'm seeing for these, though I've seen a few Zoli guns for $225. And yes you are correct that these Zouaves are typically the least expensive of the Civil War rifled musket designs.

Most of the ones I've owned (or shot) did well with PRB and IF used with a properly sized Minie bullet would shoot nearly as well. Some of the Hy Hunter Zouaves I've seen weren't quite as nice--don't know what exactly it was--maybe I was just already spoilt by other guns...?!?!?

Let us know how it shoots if you decide to go for it... OK?

Regards, and good luck on your endeavour!
WV_Hillbilly

I put a few through one of them on Sunday and want one now- happens near every time someone lets me use their gun!

Cheapest I can find here is $850...

wwfeatherston said:
I put a few through one of them on Sunday and want one now- happens near every time someone lets me use their gun!

Cheapest I can find here is $850...

Shooting one of the big muskets has that peculiar effect on most people. They are a real hoot to have, shoot, hunt, and look at.

I would love to be able to help you out, but I doubt that the governments of our two countries would allow things to happen so easily. Last fall I could have bought 3 (and almost 4) of the Zoli Zouave guns for $850 USD.

FWIW, do you know what the process is for importing a repro black powder gun into New Zealand? From talking to a friend in Queensland Aus. I seem to remember that modern repro Black Powder muzzleloading guns are considered the same as breech fired modern guns. BUT, maybe there is a way to do it that wouldn't upset the balance of things???? I'll see what I can find out on this end.

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

The answer to the import question is an easy one, Hillbilly. When you come down just bring any govt.,state or federal, licence with you . As you arrive at the airport, before you go to customs etc. go to the police station . Show them your licences from home and ask for a Tourist Licence. It will cost you $25 Kiwi and will last for the duration of your stay. It will cover B/A hunting rifles,and shotguns. You will be entitled to also buy and sell at your leasure. Beware; your greatest problems will occur at the end when you try to enter the U.S. and don't have the right paper work , to suit the offical. For anything else just ask.

:shocked2: :shocked2: Squint: Please be careful if you are considering anything HI-Hunter from the 60's. All of the guns I remember did not have threaded breech plugs :shocked2: The breech plug was welded or sweated in the breech. Very dangerous. Any of the other brands from the 70's up should be safe. Ricky.

For black powder, that is!

I will just do what I always do- wait until somebody buys one, then gets bored with it!

Plenty cone up for sale with only a few shots fired- I'm glad that so many out there have more money than sense!

I got a new .45 auto like that- the guy that brought it new and put all the extras on it couldn't cope with the big banger! (I got it for 1/2 price!)

I owned a Zoli back in 1970 I got from Navy Arms and I couldn't get it to shoot minies well at all. Sold it to a friend who had trigger work done and went to the new design longer minie ball pattern mold and won matches with it.

What would happen if the gun was sent to you dissasembled in a few shippments. Is it illegal to purchase parts and assemble a front stuffer?
buying parts has to be OK and if you build something who is to be the wiser?
WI Smoke

Muzzleloaders are not regulated like guns manufactured after 1898 so can be shipped throught the mail as antiques.

Back