• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Zouave Rifle Rear Sight - Options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
Are there any rear sight options for the Zouave (repro) that would allow for windage/elevation adjustments?

There's a few options, depending on whether or not you want to mimic what was used originally or just want to have the modern convenience of a rear blade that is adjustable.

Original - You can buy the 3-leaf 'flip up' replacement rear sight and file your own nothes or drill your own holes, to customize it. Lodgewood or S&SFirarms sell them.

RSight1.jpg

Modern - Williams and Numerich Arms, amongst many, make 'ramp' type rear sights. Not sure which may have an adjustable windage feature, but the barrel could be bent (seriously) if needed. Oh, this one shown below looks to be windage adjustable, was sold on Amazon (that I personally boycott) but they are out of stock there, which means no longer avialable at least from them.

RSight2.jpg

I saw a blank leaf on S&SF's site and think that might be the way to go. I might add a little color to the back end of the front sight as well. While I'm not thrilled with the prospect of a deviation from the way things were, my eyes just don't tolerate "black rear sight + black front sight + black/dark target) very well.

I hear you on the "black rear sight + black front sight + black/dark target" issue, so I use 'White Out' on the rear of the front sight blade, especially on those black bullseye targets. The best part ... if at a shoot and someone gives me a hard time about it, it comes right off easily!

At a recent shoot, of 4 targets, the first 3 were black and the 4th red, so a simple flick turned my front sight back to black and it gave excellent contrast to the target. To me, that 'contrast' is what you're seeking :thumb: !

I hear you on the "black rear sight + black front sight + black/dark target" issue, so I use 'White Out' on the rear of the front sight blade, especially on those black bullseye targets. The best part ... if at a shoot and someone gives me a hard time about it, it comes right off easily!

At a recent shoot, of 4 targets, the first 3 were black and the 4th red, so a simple flick turned my front sight back to black and it gave excellent contrast to the target. To me, that 'contrast' is what you're seeking :thumb: !
I could definitely use some contrast. I have an "unmentionable" that was the same way until I swapped the front sight post with something a tad more neon. I think I have one of those screw on cross-hair front sights as well. Next range day, I'll fiddle with what I have so I have a solid idea of what I need to do.

My unspoken primary goal is to have a front loader that's suitable for hunting that I'm comfortable/confident with. If I can accomplish this without the need to spend a nice chunk of change on a Pedersoli target jaeger, that'd be ideal.

Without replacing the entire rear sight the only alternative you have is to buy a blank blade and cut your own notches after you have developed a load.

The N-SSA doesn't have any rules against painting sights. Acrylic craft paints work well and are easy to remove. My wife bought some cheap nail polish and emptied the bottles then filled them with different colored acrylics so she has a choice of colors and with a brush in the bottle. Nail polish would work well too if you don't plan on changing the color.

Without replacing the entire rear sight the only alternative you have is to buy a blank blade and cut your own notches after you have developed a load.

The N-SSA doesn't have any rules against painting sights. Acrylic craft paints work well and are easy to remove. My wife bought some cheap nail polish and emptied the bottles then filled them with different colored acrylics so she has a choice of colors and with a brush in the bottle. Nail polish would work well too if you don't plan on changing the color.
DGW has a nice bright color set for about $20

1660845147089.png

Someone posted these in a FB group I'm in (that's a 100 yard group). From the looks of it, that crosshair front sight (I think I have one somewhere) and a custom cut rear leaf to address elevation might do nicely.

Attachments

• 1660845219374.png
    1660845219374.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1660845230597.png
    1660845230597.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
The rear sight went right into the screw hole that was present on the rifle. I did get a 3/8" dovetail cut in the front for mine. But there are lots of options on the website...you just got to find what works for yours. I would skip the universal sight. This is the one I used and bought the ghost ring separate. https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/wgos-base-series--less-blade-001567 no mod required for this one

ghost ring https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/firesight-ghost-ring-wgrswgos-070919

this page has got to have something that works! If you want open sights just order the blade vice the ghost ring

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/index.html?searchValue=firesight

Last edited:
Someone posted these in a FB group I'm in (that's a 100 yard group). From the looks of it, that crosshair front sight (I think I have one somewhere) and a custom cut rear leaf to address elevation might do nicely.
I have 2 Zouaves both have same front sights you show got them from Dixie Gun Works

There's a few options, depending on whether or not you want to mimic what was used originally or just want to have the modern convenience of a rear blade that is adjustable.

Original - You can buy the 3-leaf 'flip up' replacement rear sight and file your own nothes or drill your own holes, to customize it. Lodgewood or S&SFirarms sell them.

View attachment 156493

Modern - Williams and Numerich Arms, amongst many, make 'ramp' type rear sights. Not sure which may have an adjustable windage feature, but the barrel could be bent (seriously) if needed. Oh, this one shown below looks to be windage adjustable, was sold on Amazon (that I personally boycott) but they are out of stock there, which means no longer avialable at least from them.

View attachment 156494
I own 2 Zoli Zouave's and I have blank sights that I calculated using this formula: I drilled peep sights in after range testing to see where correction is needed.. I shoot a Hodgdon style minié ball that works great with these Zouave's.
Amount of Error X Sight Radius
= Sight Correction Needed​
Distance to Target in inches​

I have the front globe sight mounted. I'll have to get some range time in and figure out where I want to go from there. I can see myself custom cutting a blank leaf, but I'd like to get a couple of good loads sorted first. Use the 100 yard sight for the first load, and the 300 yard sight cut down a little for the second load.

On my Zouave, I drilled a small hole on the back site, left of the notch and right on top of the folding leaf screw and then I took off the factory front, soldered and new taller front site, same shape as original. Meets all rules that I have run up against in matches and with Lee Minnie hollow base mini and 50 grn of 2F it shoots very good groups at 50 & 100 yds on paper. I shot 80 of 2F one time for a doe hunt and took one at 30 yds.

Mike

On my Zouave, I drilled a small hole on the back site, left of the notch and right on top of the folding leaf screw and then I took off the factory front, soldered and new taller front site, same shape as original. Meets all rules that I have run up against in matches and with Lee Minnie hollow base mini and 50 grn of 2F it shoots very good groups at 50 & 100 yds on paper. I shot 80 of 2F one time for a doe hunt and took one at 30 yds.

Mike
Not sure I trust myself with removing and resoldering the front sight

Latest posts

Back