• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Zouave Nipple Well

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I may be using the wrong term, but I'm calling it a "nipple well" that area the nipple screws into... I finally was able to get the right size wrench to remove the nipple from a recently purchased Zouave, and the first thing I noticed is the nipple has no bottom base. See the picture beside the new stainless nipple. Then examining the "well" it appears to be cracked. I took my pick and can stick it in a couple places. What's going on here? Is this a crack & does it need repaired if it is repairable? Any idea why the original steel nipple has no base? Thank you for your input.

Nipple.jpg
Nipple Well.jpg

I got an answer on the nipple (different type), but should I be concerned about shooting this gun with a superficial crack in the cup?

You don't mention the brand or vintage of your Zouave but many of the early ones had a bolster that was brazed to the barrel and in some cases has blown off. It almost looks like I can see a fine line of braze at the junction of the barrel and bolster but it's possible that's just from the light and the photo.

I may be using the wrong term, but I'm calling it a "nipple well" that area the nipple screws into... I finally was able to get the right size wrench to remove the nipple from a recently purchased Zouave, and the first thing I noticed is the nipple has no bottom base. See the picture beside the new stainless nipple. Then examining the "well" it appears to be cracked. I took my pick and can stick it in a couple places. What's going on here? Is this a crack & does it need repaired if it is repairable? Any idea why the original steel nipple has no base? Thank you for your input
It appears to be a crack. But is it? Plug the ignition hole at 10:00 and pump some smoke into the muzzle. Use some pressure, can't just wave it in there. Make sure it isn't loaded!!! If it cracked, the smoke might tell you something. No guarantees as the maybe crack might not extend into the bore. If it is cracked someone higher up the ladder than me will have to give you some advice. Good luck, and be safe.
Larry

It’s called a bolster and if that is a crack then don’t shoot it. That sort of thing should be checked out by a gunsmith that knows this work and the internet isn’t up to the task!

You don't mention the brand or vintage of your Zouave but many of the early ones had a bolster that was brazed to the barrel and in some cases has blown off. It almost looks like I can see a fine line of braze at the junction of the barrel and bolster but it's possible that's just from the light and the photo.
It's an Armi-Jager 1863. It wa mfg 1964. I don't see any evidence of a braze. The crack is running from near the center of the cup. Fortunately, the seller has agreed to give me a full refund.

You have a solution at hand. Seller has agreed return your money. It's not worth the loss of blood or injury to some else. I had one that fractured blowing gas out through the bottom of the bolster before I realized it was damaged. All I ever shot out of it was 65grn of 2f with a patched round ball.
Kno-ie

Latest posts

Back