• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave breech face pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerset

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I used my bore scope to get some pictures of the “Korea” Zouave’s breech face. The two with the orangish deposit are from the “Korea” Zouave and the one is of a Zoli Zouave I have from comparison. What do think of the deposits. Are they cause for concern. Will be ordering a breech face scrapper soon to try and remove them. Thanks

Attachments

• C2FCD61C-3BB3-4DE8-8B6F-0D4139219769.jpeg
    C2FCD61C-3BB3-4DE8-8B6F-0D4139219769.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 0AC30168-7229-4166-9C80-7223B30D76BA.jpeg
    0AC30168-7229-4166-9C80-7223B30D76BA.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 155
  • C59CC426-46E3-4733-A5F7-10CDB6DBC71B.jpeg
    C59CC426-46E3-4733-A5F7-10CDB6DBC71B.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 126
Think its just going to matter how much loss of metal vs integrity. Unfortunately give the location about the only thing that will tell is removing the breach. Difficult enough on a hex barrel, definate difficulty on a round barrel. Think any metal loss at the face probably negligible given the bulk. Real question is has the corrosion encroached in the circumference to the point of integrity loss. Be nice if you knew someone with an ultrasonic tester. If you know a dentist real well maybe they could xray it for you.

Do you think the deposit is carbon from black powder? I can’t think of any machining process that would leave something that looks like that.

Light rust, not a problem. That breech plug is way way thicker than the barrel walls. Probably a little rust in the threads, probably has formed a nice barrier against further rust.

I see no problem my friend. If it really bothers you, I’d pour a very small amount of Evapo-Rust down the bore and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then flush with water, dry with cleaning patches, followed by WD-40, then lubricate with your choice of lubricant.

As Zonie had already stated, I don’t see a problem either.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Just a word of caution about using Evapo-rust or any other rust remover (including vinegar): The browning or bluing on a barrel is a form of rust. If any rust remover gets on it, it will remove the browning or bluing leaving the bare metal to show.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. Now that I have learned what a “patent” breech is I am not so concerned.

Latest posts

Back