Zouave bought and not delivered

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Bert

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a problem. I bought a Zouave rifle from Phillip Barr for $200.00. He had it listed in this forum's for sale/trade section. I sent a money order on March 23, 2007 and have gotten no response from him after a number of emails. Has anyone else bought from him or in contact with him? I hope this is just an oversite and no bigger problem. Help!
Thanks Bert

torn moc

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Bert,
patience..patience...you are just very anxious....The folks here on the forum are very respectable...sometimes things come up in our daily routine that keeps us from shipping the same day we receive payment...maybe he is having a hard time finding a big enough box...???
I and another forum member LORD SLASHCAT just completed a straight over the table 'TRADE"
My Zouave for his Blunderbuss....it took a couple of weeks for us to conclude the deal...
I know the Anxious feeling....just give it time.
Exchange emails too!!!

Rebel

Cannon
Reaction score
I typed his name in the search box under members and he doesn't appear to be a member here so i don't know. But i think you should have gotten a phone number from him before sending money. I do that so i can contact the person if need be.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Even in little Germany it can take up to 2 weeks until a gun is delievered after paying/ordering. so i would wait after Eastern, but then it shozld come.

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
RetiredMedic said:
HIs site name is,,, 4 bore
The "4 bore" account has not been used since 2005 and is currently locked, as that member has moved on. Also, his name was not "Phillip Barr".

jethro224

Reaction score
There is a "4bore" in the member ranks. Besides the "4 bore" person. Maybe that was him???

Anyway, Bert and RetiredMedic, I hope it all works out well for you guys. It does seem a bit too soon to be really worried yet.

RetiredMedic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not worrying yet,,
I dealed many times on the net and know how it works..
Just did not like the seeing this post come up dealing with the same person..
Makes you think a little..

Bert

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. I have not lost any money on my dealings on the web. I guess there is always the first time...At this time I am patiently waiting with a U.S. Postal Inspection Service "Mail Fraud Report" form # 8165 in my hand. :hmm: When I do business I email the seller when I sent the money order, the seller emails that they got it and then emails again when the package is sent and the tracking #. How easy could it be? Good shooting, Bert

faw3

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I can see why your worrying and it could be a real problem but let me tell ya about a 1985 "new" Sante Fe Hawken a member said something about up in St Lou last year on our Hawken site here . I traced the place down, called the owener and after a week sent him the money (he had lost the lease and was packing and closeing down) I thought no big deal I got his home number and he'll send it while shutting down. :shake: Nope he had 48 hours to pack and move a whole gun shop to storage, well to cut this down,I couldnt get himon the phone, and the Es came back for 6 weeks then I get a call his ranch had been robbed, but around 2 1/2 months later a new Hawken showed up with no ram rod , no big deal, then months after that the rod came.Hope yours turns out right too. Fred :hatsoff:

Bert

36 Cal.
Reaction score
HI all. I have written Phillip Barr a certified letter and if I get no response I will proceed with the postal fraud form. I have also started a trace of my money order. Has anyone else ever done business with this fellow? Mr. Barr has not made any contact with me since he has gotten my money order. Something is beginning to stink. :cursing:

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am glad I found this topic cause I wasnt sure where to complain about this. Some time ago maybe 3 weeks or so I closed a sell on an 1858 remington from 4 bore. The deal was I send him a money order for 100$ and he would send the gun. Well since then I have tried contacting him asking if he got the money order and asking if he had been able to send the gun off but ofcourse i have gotten no response. My wife was the one to send the money order because I am in Iraq right now but I should be home sunday for my R&R leave. When I get home will I be able to trace the money order to see if it has been cashed yet? I will not let this transaction discourage me for future purchases though. A few months ago I closed a deal on an 1803 Harpers Ferry from a member known as TN Frank and the gun got to my house a day ahead of time which was about a week after my wife sent the money order. My wife has sent me pictures of it and it looks to be in great condition so I am chomping at the bits to shoot it. Well I will check in later I am intrested in how this will turn out.

RetiredMedic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was the sale on this site???

Looks like you got screw'd also.

What address did you send the MO to?

Make contact with PO mail Fraud unit.

Go to the PO and file a form #6401 to trace down where he cash it.
Let me know where the dirtbag cashed the MO and who sign it. Would like to see if he cashed mine and Bert's in the same location....

I send a e-mail to site Webby, hoping he can help finding this dirtbag...

That SOB made
$200.00 from Bert
$225.00 from me
$100.00 from ian45662

Anybody else get screw'd on the site??

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
RetiredMedic said:
Was the sale on this site???...
I send a e-mail to site Webby, hoping he can help finding this dirtbag...
Anybody else get screw'd on the site??
Let's clarify something. If anyone was "screwed", it was by the seller, not by this "site". The disclaimer makes it perfectly clear that you are dealing with the seller, not this web site.

All sellers are members of the Forum and as such, I have no more information about them than is in their member profile. Just like the limited information I have about you. Even if I required a full name and address at registration, I'd have no way to know if it was false or not.

At the first sign of a problem, this member was barred from using the Classifieds, but I have no more information about the seller than you do. Actually, you have more, as I don't even have his mailing address.

I have no way to know if the seller ripped people off or was killed in a car accident. If you sent him money through the mail and he steals your money, he is guilty of a federal crime and you should seek legal advise.

In the future, all I can suggest is the use of PayPal or some form of escrow for the transaction. Every free classified system I've ever seen has these problems, but they are infrequent and not the norm.

The members asked for the Classifieds and I delivered. If the Classifieds become too much of a problem, I'll close them.

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you are sending email to his email address and it's not bouncing, Yahoo can tell you who it belongs to, but not without a court order.