• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Zombie Ready

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quite a while back someone commented on trying .40 cal pistol bullets. Borrowed this mold and gave it a try in the shorty forty 28" GM drop-in. At forty paces the holes were almost touching until the barrel leaded up.

Interesting! What are your bore dimensions? And what is the actual caliber of those bullets?

I had wondered about the same thing with my .50.

The bullet bases and the GM barrel bore are right at .402" with the lands barely biting into the perimeter. The barrel is the standard GM 48" twist.
The mold is the Lyman hollow point for a .40 pistol round.
I suspect this design will need paper patching if it will work without leading up the barrel, that otherwise there is insufficient lube for the pressure needed to expand it to the barrel. The twist is so slow that it cannot stabilize very much bullet. Small bullets do not have much inertia to create create expansion to the barrel. So it needs a lot of thrust...
Could the GM barrels with 48" twist work with something like the Lee tumble lube design paper patched? http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity/

Last edited by a moderator:
you could try a wool felt wad to help reduce leading.The wad is for a ruger old army pistol.I get good results with hard cast 175gr SWC, Lubed with hard lube from the caster.I use 50gr Fffg goex,Get just enough engraving of the .401 sized bullet in the Long Hammock barrel to stabilize it out to 50yds.I haven shot it further....yet

Well I'll swanny. Never occurred to me to cast them hard. I was worried about getting them to spread out.
Is your barrel a 48" twist?

So you have metal to metal fit of the bullet to the bore? Using one felt lube pad?

Soon the tang for Sheba (the .40 GPR) will have a new peep. When that happens I will bed the tang, bed the barrel, adjust the wedges and see just how small she'll shoot ball. Might sell the GM shorty forty if Sheba prints as good.

GoodCheer said:
The bullet bases and the GM barrel bore are right at .402" with the lands barely biting into the perimeter. The barrel is the standard GM 48" twist.
The mold is the Lyman hollow point for a .40 pistol round.
I suspect this design will need paper patching if it will work without leading up the barrel, that otherwise there is insufficient lube for the pressure needed to expand it to the barrel. The twist is so slow that it cannot stabilize very much bullet. Small bullets do not have much inertia to create create expansion to the barrel. So it needs a lot of thrust...
Could the GM barrels with 48" twist work with something like the Lee tumble lube design paper patched? http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity/[/quote]

Twist rate would the key to accurate shooting. My wife has a nice custom .40 I once hoped she could use for deer hunting. But, the barrel is a Douglas and, I suspect it is a 1:66" twist. I once measure the twist but have forgotten what it is. Either way, lead bullets would not be for everyday shooting. The occasional shot for sighting and hunting would be all you would want due to the leading situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
For zombies you best have a large knife and a .22lR auto. I know this because I have a book on it.

As I see it, Zombies are just dessicated human remains, reanimated via some kind of Hollywood magic. They would be little more consistency than that of a bag of fall leaves.

With that in mind, hi-speed projectile would have minimum effect.

I'd consider a 12 ga. coach gun with a load of #4 to be an ideal deterrent :hmm:

yes just slightly,It seems to stabilize OK with lighter charges up to 50gr Fffg Goex

Latest posts

Back