• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Zoli zouave musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I own this zouave musket, and want to strip the stock sand it and refinish it. Can anyone recommend a good stripper?
thanks
Kevin

The club down the road closed, all the strippers moved on. Homer formby’s products seem took ok. Please wear gloves and get plenty of air!

I've always used oven cleaner on gunstocks to strip away the old finish. I have a Zoli Zouave but have not tried stripping the finish on it. They are very blonde and I have heard tales of them being a bear to refinish; I don't know. I have sanded a small area on my stock's fore-end after cutting down the length, and refinished with Kiwi brand brown 'scuff cover', followed with a few hand rubbed coats of Tru-Oil. It matched the original finish just fine.

I was stripping a cva shotgun stock today, and I've been having good luck using a utility blade like you would a cabinet scraper. Just keep it flat to the wood. I normally use denatured alcohol to cut a loosen a shellac finish, but scraping works good if someone used a polyurethane or gel stain on the wood.

Spray aircraft stripper - spray, wait 30 minutes, scrape off the goo, let dry, start sanding... CF1F4BED-A48F-49B8-BFDD-61AD4796F0D0.jpegD38534DE-B10C-4273-8DA1-A0715AD302E8.jpeg

Thanks for the help guys! Particularly the advice about using gloves when touching a stripper.....ahem.
I’ve heard about the oven cleaner from a few people. My plan is to strip it down, fix a small crack then stain it a dark walnut amd oil it.
That’s a winter project so when I finally start it I’ll post some photos.
thanks again

Latest posts

Back