• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zoauve

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catof9tails

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My dad picked up a 58 Zouave Navy Arms from a garage sale for $225. It had never been shot and was in 99% condition. It sports a 32" barrel with two bands. Company stamp - Antonio Zoli & Company, Italy #26. Dad said have a early Merry Christmas this year.

I don't know very much on the Zouave. I've only experienced TC Cougars, Hawkens and GPRs.

Can someone chime in and give me the low down on this type of Zouave? I'm looking for rate of twist, powder loads, type of minnie balls, etc. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cat9

Guess this old cat is venturing into new territory.

Cat, yer daddy done good by you!

The Zolis are considered the best of the Zouave repros. They are vary popular within the North-South Skirmish Association ([url] http://www.n-ssa.org[/url] ), where target loads range from about 37 grains up to 47 grains of 3fg under a Lyman 575213 old style minie. Check the bulletin board at that Web site, and do a search on Zoli zouaves. You'll find reams of discussion there.

Like most repros, it probably will shoot high and to the left at 50 and 100 yards. That can be cured by installing a slightly higher front sight blade. But before you do anything, take it out and play with it for awhile. I think you'll like it! :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Zoli-made Zouave, sold by Euroarms. It's rear sight is held in pace with a screw which, when loosened, allows for the sight to pivot left & right allowing for some windage adjustment.
I shoot a 612gn Minie, sized just a hair under bore size, over 50gns of Swiss 3Fg with some Cream of Wheat between powder & Minie to help keep shot to shot fouling consistent (not allowed to wipe the bore between shots in my competitions). I think most any Minie should shoot well IF they are sized as close as practical to bore size. Too loose a fit & you'll just get mediocre accuracy. At 100 yards I can keep ten shots within the 9 ring on a B-19 target, shooting prone.

Thanks for the information. It will give me a good start.

I'm starving for more info. What is the rate of twist? And can I shoot round balls?

Thanks,
Cat9

Thanks Rebel. I've searched the net without success. This morning a coworker found info on the net saying it was 1:48 twist. From what I've seen on the net, there seems to be quite a variety of Zoauves. Is there different rate of twist with these Zoauves?

I best pick up the rifle from dads to make sure I have all the right info off the barrel.

Thanks everyone for the info.
cat9

It is easy to find the rate of twist. Tight patch on jag on ramrod, shove all the way down the barrel, mark rod at muzzle in line with front sight, slowly pull rod out for 1/4 turn, measure from muzzle to mark on rod and mutiply that number by 4. So if it is 12" from the muzzle to the mark: 12x4=48 so it is a 1-48" twist.

Thanks again Rebel. When I'm able to pick up the Zouave, I'll give it the ram rod test.

Cat9

There is a Zoli Zouave on AA right now with a buy now price of $185 for anyone interested. Here is the auction #8056967

Congrats on the new big bore! Do what the papabear says! And remember...don't get too hot and blow your skirt :shake: :haha: :blah: .

Just as an aside...those slower moving heavvvvvy slugs do a good job on watermelons :shocked2: . In the CW, it was written that a single minnie went through two soldiers and into or through a third...killing all three with a verrry large wound channel :thumbsup: .

Have fun making smoke!

Dave

Back