• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Zippo lighters and media images.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While serving in Viet-Nam, '66-'67. lighter fluid became almost impossible to find at the PX because of black-market activity. A buddy refilled his Zippo with JP-4 (high-grade kerosine used as helicopter fuel and oddly enough in our multi-fuel trucks.) The Zippo worked just fine on this. When lighter fluid once more became available, he let the lighter burn until it used all of the JP-4 then refilled it with lighter fluid. Strangely. it wouldn't work with the lighter fluid. He even tried drying out the 'cotton' fluid holder. Still wouldn't work. So, he went back to using JP-4.
That's a cool 'detail story'! Thanks. I was in Army stateside 66-67 at a military hospital that rapidly filled up with guys brought back from VN for recovery. The gov't. would always try to place patients as close to home as possible.

While serving in Viet-Nam, '66-'67. lighter fluid became almost impossible to find at the PX because of black-market activity. A buddy refilled his Zippo with JP-4 (high-grade kerosine used as helicopter fuel and oddly enough in our multi-fuel trucks.) The Zippo worked just fine on this. When lighter fluid once more became available, he let the lighter burn until it used all of the JP-4 then refilled it with lighter fluid. Strangely. it wouldn't work with the lighter fluid. He even tried drying out the 'cotton' fluid holder. Still wouldn't work. So, he went back to using JP-4.
Good ol' Zippo was smarter than we give 'em credit for! :)

Zippo then responded to my further enquiry: they stated that the image (which I posted above) contained a part that was licensed.
I'm guessing they probably ran your images through a reverse image lookup on the internet and found your images elsewhere online, and are thus refusing to use them for fear of copyright infringement.

TinyEye found your arsenal picture from here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colt_Armory.jpg
Which appears to be licensed such that you can use but must give attribution.

Your second image looks like it came from here:
https://www.deviantart.com/gmil123/art/Samuel-Colt-The-Revolver-Inventor-788507964
I can't readily tell what licensing is available for it, if any.

So it's likely that Zippo has automated tools that go look for submitted images for a match on the internet, and if they are found, it bounces your order for copyright infringement.

Last edited:
My son in law works for Zippo/Case. Graphics and design. Heading out there to visit them and the grandkids. Have more than a dozen lighters (only smoke a cigar twice a week), and try to buy the limited run knifes (I am a Life Member). Great products and as said earlier a true piece of Americana!

My son in law works for Zippo/Case. Graphics and design. Heading out there to visit them and the grandkids. Have more than a dozen lighters (only smoke a cigar twice a week), and try to buy the limited run knifes (I am a Life Member). Great products and as said earlier a true piece of Americana!
I also had family that worked theer. My mother's, brother's daughter, my first cousin, was married to Blasdell Wick one of the owners! She was a graphic artist there for many years until the MS got so bad, she had to stop. My grandparents lived in Bradford there entire lives, and My brother still has a place there for hunting.

Howdy:
Shows y'all the state of THIS country??? Yup, the Marines should have told Zippo just what they can do with their lighters? To me Zippo was always American as Apple Pie, or at least it USED to be!! I'm glad I gave up smoking 27 years ago and tossed MY Zippo.
God bless the Red White n Blue:
Two Feathers

This does not end well.

Back