• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

zinc prb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom deinek

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody got any experience with casting zinc instead of lead? I've got a large amount of wheel weight material that I'd like to use for fllintlock plinking.

Hi,

Not all wheel weights are zinc. In fact most are still lead alloy. Most of the zinc ones are fairly easily identified. For the most part they look different and/or be marked with a ZN on them. If you're not sure try to cut them with tin snips. If they mash as they cut you're OK. If they're extra hard to cut or just beak without mashing very much they're suspect. When in doubt toss them.

The little 3/4 inch square, flat, stick on ones are very close to pure lead. Separate them and use them in your pure lead stash.

I haven't used too many yet but the general thought is that with appropriate adjustments in patch thickness wheel weight balls work just fine. They will probably cast slightly larger diameter and slightly lower weight than pure lead balls.

Have you or anybody used wheelweight cast prb to shoot deer with? Would like everyones thoughts on this so I would know if I should try it or not when my lead supply dries up. Also what cal. did you use it in. Thanks.

A deer's torso is rarely more mthan 8 inches deep. A hardened RB is not going to expand in such a thin body, and on a torso shot, the ribs of even mature deer are so thin you are not likely to upset a hard alloy ball.

The reason the Pure Lead Ball is perfect for shooting thin skinned game, like deer, is because it does mushroom quickly on impact, transferring energy in the form of sine waves that increases the size of the primary wound channel( caliber size) and ruptures tissues in surrounding vital organs to shock the animal's brain, and cause a quick, massive drop in blood pressure for a quick kill. Deer shot through the heart or lungs, or both , with a PRB made of pure lead rarely go more than 50 yds, and usually far less than that. Yet, if you do miss the lungs and heart, the weight of the typical PRB is sufficient to break forelegs, or vertebrae, and bring the deer down that way.

The Alloy balls make sense if you are hunting wild boar, or animals with thick skins and bone, like Elk, Bear, and Moose. Those chest cavities can be huge, and require a hard ball to adequate penetrat through hair, hide, muscle, bone, and connecting tissue to reach vital organs.

My suggestion is not to waste your time using Wheelweight for PRB hunting, unless you are hunting these bigger boned animals. Frankly, rather than using an alloy RB, I would rather use a conical that has some weight behind it to smash bones, and penetrate deeply. I think its a much more reliable and better ( predictable performance) solution.

I WAS JUST WONDERING. I SHOOT PRB AND WOULD CONSIDER USING THE SLUGS IF AFTER BIGGER GAME. HAVE GOOD RESULTS MOST OF THE TIME WITH THE BALL. IT IS SHOT PLACEMENT FOR SURE. THANKS,WVBUCKBUSTER.

Back