• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Zinc cannon balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexdevantier

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 3" carronade and a 4" civil war mortar. I have made my own molds and want to pour some zinc balls. Anyone out there know what temperature I need to get the zinc to and what temperature for the mold.Cool posts here. Thanks, Rex Dev. :what:

I have cast quite a few zinc bullets over the years. It will require a fairly high temperature, almost to an incandesant heat. Like lead, it has to be heated well above its melting point. I use only steel or cast iron for melting and pouring. The operation should of course be done in a well ventilated area.

Zinc has wonderful casting properties. It's not unusual to get a perfect ball on the first pour.

I picked up a turkey fryer at Wal Mart for melting zinc and bulk lead. The average electric lead pot won't develop the required temperature.

The problem is when it is too hot. I get large voids, especially when casting the4" balls.

Quote one answer. "Why zinc." :winking: The zinc gives me a ball weighing roughly the same as cast iron. With a lead ball that size the pressure would be way too high.

My son built a 1/4 scale 16pdr. Dalgren naval gun with an iron carriage. He uses concrete filled tennis balls or concrete filled soda cans as projectiles. We tested the gun at a local Swiss rifle club. It is in a box canyon. The first projectile hit 1 1/4 miles down range at the end of the canyon. We had to adjust the load to hit the target. The gun weighs c. 500 lbs. I made a 1/4 scale naval six pounder with an oak carriage. It is 75 caliber and weighs c. 40 lbs. I cast my projectiles using lead. I built a section of deck and gunport railing with train tackle. Because of its light weight there is no problem transporting it. I won a smoothbore match with it. My son also completed scratch built matchlock rifle that works perfectly. All he needs now is bandolier of wooden cartridges. I had the chain break on my TRS wheellock pistol that I built. :cry: I had hardened and tempered the chain. It was made from investment castings. Could I have hardened the chain too much. Does anyone have any advice on this? :m2c:

rabbitears,
I built the german sporting wheellock from a set of cast parts from TRS. I used the blank shafts of number 4 bolts as pins. Chuck Dixon of the gunmaker's fair commended the thickness of my pins. He sold some wheellocks made by Italian replicaters in the 70's. He said the main problem with the chain was that the pins were too thin and they bent and then pulled out of the links. He would fix the problem for the buyer by installing larger diameter pins. I did not harden anything on my lock except the wheel. I know it will cause extra wear, but my attitude was that I built it, if it breaks I will fix it. I plan to build other locks with wheels at some time anyway using metal stock. The TRS parts are a little loose because of shrinkage of the investment casting process. I had to work out the kinks to get it to work. I still can't get the pan cover closed while it is spanned. The really doesn't matter because I am not sure if I will hunt with it. And my Peter Dyson pyrites like to be set right down on the wheel. This post probably didn't help much, sorry. :m2c:
God bless.
volatpluvia

A fellow from the local SCV chapter has a 3" Ordnance Rifle fo which he casts zinc projectiles in a special mold. The cannon is rifled, obviously, and the projectiles are somewhat wasp-waisted with the rifling molding into them. Dave carefully inserts them into the bore and as they are seated they slowly rotate, taking the rifling as they go. Needless to say, with a good gun and some serious care, he can keep them in a wash tub at 600 yards or more. When Dave shows up at a shoot everybody else shoots for 2nd place! What a gun!

A lot of investment castings are more or less hardened and tempered when made except for when they are to be finished after casting. Thin sections of investment casting can be notorious for crystalising too. Sounds like you fellas have been busy.Any chance of a photo of the 16 pndr?
Cheers, Rex Devantier

Thanks for the information rexdevantier and voltpluvia,

I guess I have a lot to learn. The first link on the tumbler of my TRS wheellock pistol pulled apart. The cross pins in the investment castings held up just fine. The mainsprig is powerful. I sent for a new set of castings and will try again before making up a chain from scratch. You are right about the investment castings having shrunk. I had to have some extra metal added to some of the castings. There still are some gaps around the flash pan that can be filled in later. I will try to send a picture of my son's 1/4 scale Dalgren, my 1/4 scale 6lbr., and my Schroeter wheellock. The Schroeter investment castings are of a better quality than TRS although some modifications have to made to the lock internally to get it to work as its supposed to. Rabbitears :thumbsup:

Just a note about Zinc cannon balls.
I have done it in an Aluminium sinker mold for the big down rigger sinkers. I melt on a turkey fryer base and a 20lb propane tank for fuel. Made a little house of fire brick that I place my ladel inside of to help concentrate the heat.
I have cast 2.25 inch since that is what my cannon bore is.
BUT be careful to do this outside, Zinc fumes are dangerous and can cause a sever headache and I believe nerve damage. I have not experienced this personally, because I only cast outside when there is absolutly no chance of rain. Zinc should not be overheated for this very reason, (more fumes)
I also sand cast zinc parts from wood patterns, it is a very nice metal to work with, but remember to protect your health.

Back