• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

YouTube is driving me crazy!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelist1954

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As many of you know, YouTube de-monetized over 100 of my videos last week.

Naturally, I requested a manual review of each one. So far, they have reviewed 63 of the videos in question.

For 21 videos, the manual reviewers reversed the original decision, so those videos are now deemed suitable for advertisers.

But for 42 videos, the reviewers upheld the original decision to de-monetize them because they violate YouTube’s weapons related content policy.

I guess I could swallow that if there was any consistency in how YouTube applies its policy. For instance, YouTube prohibits:

“Pages that provide instructions about the assembly, enhancement or acquisition of any firearms including parts or components thereof. This includes, but is not limited to firearm-making instructions, guides, software or equipment for 3D printing of guns or gun parts”

OK…I guess that is their rationale for de-monetizing my flintlock rifle build videos. But there is no consistency in their decisions.

For example, on my Swivel Breech rifle build series, the reviewers decided update 19 was fine, but updates 2, 3, 17, 18, 20, 22 and the series introduction violate their guidelines.

On my current York County rifle build, updates 2 and 7 are just fine, but updates 9,12 and 23 violate their standards…how? If building guns is bad, why aren’t all the videos in the series bad?

YouTube doesn’t allow you to contact them to question decisions, which is a shame, because most of the decisions don’t seem to follow any actual standard. It seems like a whim on the part of each individual reviewer.

As many of you know, YouTube de-monetized over 100 of my videos last week...OK…I guess that is their rationale for de-monetizing my flintlock rifle build videos.

YouTube is making too much money from ad revenue and is looking for ways to cut back on how many times ads run. How else can you explain their behavior?

American gun owners make up approximately 0.09% of the Youtube audience.

That's equivalent to 4.25 drops in a glass of water.

If you wan't to equate that to money, imagine your annual income is $50,000 and and you lose $45.

Private company makes their own rules - annoying for others, but it is their right to do so. Are there alternative video-hosting services that have less arbitrary policies?

I find it odd how some others can just dismiss the entire service because they personally dislike something (or don't understand how to use the service, which appears to be the actual case). It's equivalent to burning down the bookstore because you find pictures of naked Greek statues objectionable (tossing the baby with the bathwater).

Don't like something - don't watch...

Last edited:
Black Hand, you and i haven't always agreed on topics here, but in this case we are in perfect accord.
Duelist, it's sad your videos have been removed, i have always enjoyed them.
YouTube is helpful, if taken with a grain of salt. It, like wikipedia, allows folks to post almost anything. I have used the material found on YouTube several times, just last weekend i disassembled my tiller motor and info found the helped.

If you don't like what you see, simply click on the X on the top right corner.

I agree with Hand, YouTube is a private company and can censor what they please. I don’t understand their logic but I don’t understand gun control logic either.
I still can get good information from YouTube and I’m not giving them my money directly.
I do believe that we should vote with our wallets and I won’t do business with a company that donates to causes that are directly working against my God given rights.
( just to clarify YouTube isn’t removing firearm videos just not paying them, if they were to completely remove them I would not use their services. I support channels I like through patron)

The free-market system works on competition - if one provider doesn't supply your needs, you go elsewhere. Eventually, if the former finds its revenue stream is decreasing because they don't address said need, they will change or go out of business. Youtube is essentially a free-to-use service since you aren't required to subscribe or to buy any of the advertised products (or even see the ads with blocking software). Take what you find useful and discard the rest...

Eterry - if everyone agreed with me or you, what would we have to discuss?

Is the problem here really Youtube? Or is it their advertisers?
Youtube has something like 300 advertising companies in more than 88 countries it does business with.

Back