• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Youth Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone out there make a youth model .50 cal percusion? I think that CVA used to make one, but I can't find one now. I don't want to spend a fortune for a rifle that he will use for only 7 or 8 more years. My 7 year old likes to shoot my .50 hawken but the length of pull is too long for him. He absolutely loves it. I let him measure and pour his own powder but he is not strong enough to ram the ball yet. He does all of this under my direct suppervision. We load him up with 30 gr. Goex and he loves shooting it, he just needs to learn the open sights. I can't expect a sharpshooter out of a seven year old with open sights, but he will get the hang of it. :redthumb:

I'm not sure about the youth model but the CVA Bobcat with the synthetic stock weighs less than 6 pounds and can be bought at Walmart for very little money (I got one for my kids to learn on for $55). Just make sure to get one manufactured in 04 as the older ones did not have an elevation adjustment on the rear sight.

Hope this helps.

PS check your PM.

traditions also used to make a deerhunter that was about the size of the CVA youth hunter.
FYI
the CVA bob cat is the same rifle as their youth hunter just with a longer draw .
order one with wood stock and have it cut down . i have seen them run from 50 to 85 dollars and the make a great little 50 .
then when your boy or girl gets a little older , purchase a replacement stock from CVA or better yet use all the hardware and order a half stock for a nice cheep upgrade

hopfuly if i can get to it, I will post one soon that I will be working on with a curly maple stock and brass patch box

I'm not sure about the youth model but the CVA Bobcat with the synthetic stock weighs less than 6 pounds and can be bought at Walmart for very little money

I'll second this- we use the CVA Bobcats at Scout camp. Inexpensive, fairly light, reliable. As someone else said, get a wood replacement stock from CVA, and then cut down the plastic stock and fill the butt with expansion foam (Great Stuff) it helps absorb recoil and also adds balance for the muzzle-heavy feel.

Rossi also has a youth model combo- 3 barrel set: .50 front stuffer with single-shot .22LR, and either 410 or 20ga shotgun. Check the website here- Rossi youth set - I have the .223/20ga and am pleased with the quality.

Vic

Traditions makes a model they call THE TENNESSEE.Bought one for my wife.Excellent and accurate shooter.50 cal, slow twist,24" barrel and only weighs 6 lbs.The little rifle has killed 3 deer,one shot each.60 gr 3f Goex is comfortable for smaller people to shoot and flat knocks em down on the business end.A little more pricey than a Bobcat but well worth the extra.It's short but sports a full stock and the fit and finish are superb.My little woman is pretty small and shoots it real well.Good luck on your selection and keep that kid shootin!!!noah :thumbsup:

tx50cal,

I have a Youth Hunter stock that will fit the Bobcat rifle. In fact I used the barrel and lock to install on a polymer Bobcat stock because the Youth Stock was just too short for comfortable use.

I have little use for the Youth stock, so if you have a Bobcat everything will switch out, Contact me via PM if you are interested, may also consider selling the whole set including the Bobcat stock.

Regulis7

Back