• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Youre favorite time of day to deer hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
What time of day do you prefer to hunt deer? For me, Ive had the most luck, and seen the most deer in the last two hours of the day, than any other time. I prefer to hunt until it gets dark over going in before dawn, although opening day its tradition to get in before first light.

I too have lost a deer due to evening hunts. I felt awful, I wasn't going to pull the trigger but did, she ran into a thick mesquite field. I had 2 lights, just didn't leave enough blood trail. The coyotes found her that night.
I'm going in the morning, and for PM hunts I've decided NOT to shoot 30 minutes before dark, so it wont happen again.

I prefer morning hunts, and most of my deer have been taken then. Like a few of the posters, I too have lost deer shot at the end of the day and not able to recover before slap dark. Now if I am presented with a suitable deer at the end of the day I will only take the shot if it is a close, broadside shot and I aim to break both shoulders so the deer drops it its tracks. I hate dragging out a deer in the dark. Always tripping, stumbling, and getting whipped in the face by unseen branches.

In the heat of the rut when there is not much moon at night, I’ve seen more bucks looking for does in mid-morning to mid-afternoon. I have also seen more deer at dusk than morning. This season i shot a buck at end of shooting hours but he was below me as I was on a steep ridge I could not safely descend despite it being just 40 yards. So, by the time I circled around it was dark. I had to track in the dark and gut and drag in pitch dark. Thankfully only a quarter mile.
Sometimes ya got to take them when ya can.

It changes for me from prerut when the ladies are moping along together early, to rut where you’re likely to see a lone doe at her wits end with the young bucks about mid day to when the cold hits and they’re moving late. This time of year I’m out one day from 1 hr pre sunup to 9 and 10 to last light the next trying to be there when they’re moving.

I hunt from 1 hour before sunrise like to be on stand and let things settle in with daylight, until too dark to see the sites, killed deer at all times of the day. This year early muzzleloader season big 8 pt. at 3 p.m. - this year unmentionable season second day big 7 pt. at 2:30 p.m. today my Marine Corps brother nice 6 pt 3:25 p.m. Hunted a total of 6 days both seasons combined seen deer every day at all times. A lot of young bucks this year it should be a good next year also.

I prefer hunting in the morning. These last two hunting seasons, I have hunted quite a few afternoons. I've learned that you really need a game plan for a late day hunt if you connect.

Have shot the most deer within an hour of sunrise an hour of sunset. The largest deer, and all the ones that have visited a taxidermist, have been shot between 10am and 2pm. Just my experience.

I have shot deer and elk all hours. Now that I mostly hunt water I gotta say most all animals (where I live anyway) seem to drink from 10-2. Before when I hunted elk stalking (still hunt) I noted that elk and deer actually LOVE to graze in the rain, especially a light drizzle. A former(?) member that argued everything with everybody disagreed but I was happy to have mucho support from my forum brothers. Sucks to track but its cool and quiet!

I hunt when the conditions are right for the available areas I have. During the chase phase I'll try to stay out all day. I am a believer in the Moon Phase theory so will also time my hunting jaunts to moon phase. Of course, if one is on crowded public land it's more about pressure from others and what they are doing.

Back