• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your workbench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my shop toward the end of a project (you can see the barrels just beside the cordless drill and the stock just behind it). At about this point I will often stop and clean the bench and put everything away and start over as I tend to lose tools in the clutter ans spend more time searching than cutting. I'll have to do this about 3 times in the duration of the project.
shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

Holy smokes! You mean theres actually a bench under there!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I wish I had that much neat stuff to clutter up my bench.

Mine is a ok. Its the tail gate of my truck. I organize my tools by sticking them in the wall at high velocity.

I don't really have a work table, more like multiple work areas. Here's a couple pics that show about a third of my shop, total size is 1440 square feet. :grin:

I guess the picture in the middle is what you'd call my workbench. I spend more time there than anywhere. :)

rc6.jpg

rc2.jpg

rc8.jpg

Cody....don't really see any room left for working on the rifle. :winking: When I was a working tool and die maker there was a saying......" Cluttered benches are much more productive than organized ones". You must really produce!.....Fred

How did you make your clamps? I am reworking my bench and am always looking for new/better ideas

I'm not sure where he got the cool toggle handles (they look like something off a mountain bike to me) but on mine, which are kind of similiar, I used an 8" eye bolt, some washers, and a "T" nut (I think that is the name).

The T nut, well, looks like a T, has threads in the center, and has 3 or 4 little spikes the dig into the wood. These keep the nut from spining when tightening down the eye bolt. Drill a clearnence hole for the eye bolt (or nice clamp that Whit Buff has) and on the opposite side a slightly bigger holt that the T nut fits into snug. I just tightened the eye bolt and the T nut sucked down into the wood and the little spikes dug in.

I also used the T nuts to attach the gun vise and support to my bench. When I am not working on a gun and need the bench, I can take them off by just unscrewing the bolts hold them to the bench. No other nuts to deal with.

White Buffalo may have a better way of doing it. :v

Hey, Cody - those riffler files on the wall - do you use magnets to hold them?

- Bill B

WRussell said:
Hey, Cody - those riffler files on the wall - do you use magnets to hold them?

- Bill B

No but that's a great idea. I just cut slots across the wood with my radial arm saw and they sit in them. The slots are cut at an angle to give kinda half a dove tail effect so the files sit in behind the leading edge so they don't fall off the wall as easily.

Cody ~ I couldn't spot any of your engraving tools? Do you have a separate space?

I purchased the Gravermach system from GRS a year ago and am trying to figure out where to set it up amid all my clutter. Rick

I just moved to the new house, I sits in the forest next to the shop I bought. Have not had much time to deal with the shop but, have nade some progress. I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands after I moved. That will slow you down a tad. If you want to see pictures of that let me know.

This is my new bench, about half done at this point. The openings in the front are where the drawers where tools will be stored.
Bench-1.jpg

Lots of room in the new shop. All this c**p was in a one bay room before. The other side of the shop (same size) is for metal working, welding, tourching and stuff like that, keeping sparks and fire away from the wood dust.
Bench-2.jpg

This picture shows the vise stands. I wanted to be able to reach all the way around stock while working. There is about 40" from wall to stock so I can stand on both sides of the stock without moving it in the vice.
Bench-3.jpg

Three vices in a line make it posable to hold the gun on eather side of the bench and still have a vice free fot other stuff. I hate to hang a gun on the wall just to use a vice for something else.
Bench-4.jpg

This the other 1/2 of the shop. Lots of work to do still.
Otherside.jpg

And the best part is I have only to open the tractor door to get to the range for sight in. I used to drive an hour for that. I have plans for a benchrest that sets inside the big door. You can see the target boards, I will make stands for these in time.
Outback.jpg

Bruce Everhart

GobblerKnob said:
Cody ~ I couldn't spot any of your engraving tools? Do you have a separate space?

I purchased the Gravermach system from GRS a year ago and am trying to figure out where to set it up amid all my clutter. Rick

Rick, I have a room in the basement (my gun room) where I keep my guns, clean my guns, and keep all my shooting stuff. I also have a desk there that I do engraving at. It's also my wifes sewing room.

BTW, you'll LOVE the gravermach.

desk.jpg

Cody ~ I took Mark Silver's engraving course at Bowling Green, KY last summer and I'm still chasing. I can't wait to get the Gravermach set up and begin to use it. I absolutely love the power hone! :grin: Rick

I don't know if my little building shed qualifies, as it's not messy enough.
DSCF0278.jpg

After I moved some stuff around
DSCF0118.jpg

before I moved stuff. Pretty tight area as the shed is only 8'x16' in size, and the bench is a 7' piece of kitchen counter.

Bill

A penny saved is a government oversight!

Back