• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your Thoughts on the Middlesex Howdah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDann24

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first muzzleloader and I'm leaning towards the Middlesex Howdah.
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PDBC.SHTML

Anybody have any experience with this gun? I know Cabella's sells a Pedersoli Howdah pistol for a lot more, but is it worth the extra $$ for the Pedersoli?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the deal in a nutshell.

It should go boom, not made as nice as an Italian gun, uses teak/fruitwood as the stock. Fit and finish with be poor to fair at best. The resale value will be less and the resell market softer than if you purchased the Italian firearm.

Some folks will always view it as a hand grenade waiting to go off and not want to stand by you at the range.

With that said, I do have an Indian made flintlock and it sits beside my 3 custom flintlocks and my custom matchlock. It's bunderbuss, a hoot to shoot, and it cost me a lot less than a custom one would have ( for a type of gun I didn't need). It fit my grins factor and I do trust it. It's a beater and not PC like my 4 other custom firearms.

My real question would be why such an "odd" choice for a first black powder firearm. I would advise something different like a long gun/ rifle or a cap & ball revolver to start with.

So in closing, if having a 2 barrel pistol is what you want, the Pedersoli Howdah pistol would be the much better choice for fit, finish, quality, and resell value.

Cheers,

DT

DT said it best
if you want something to toy around with by all m eans
Ive owned several indian guns all went boom made smoke and lucky i bought them cheap used and sold them cheap used
mine were muskets and never gave me any issues and farely accurate why i got out of indian guns
just happened
For me i get one any kind and play with it (safely) but if you like it watch out it addicting and fun 2 years ago dint want any flinters but now thats all i own
welcome

I have a Middlesex Howdah. I will not recommend one to you. Why?
It has, absolutely and finally, the worst trigger I have ever tried to use. Trigger pull on both triggers had to have been in excess of thirty pounds. I needed two hands (fingers) on the triggers to pull them.
The first time that I tried to shoot the gun, I thought that I'd left the hammers uncocked.
With some work, I've managed to get the weight down to about twenty pounds.
All that being said, it is satisfying when it goes off.
Pete

I'll go along with Pete on the trigger pull. I Dont have a Howdah, but I do own a Middlesex Baker Rifle, Horrible trigger pull out of the box. Took about 2 hrs of disassembled lock work to get it right.
They are not top of the line Muzzleloaders but They are what they are. If you are on a budget, then they fit the bill, But right out of the box they will need work, Very heavy trigger pull fit and finish not the best and not PC correct. But if you can done some light gunsmithing and wood work they can be made to shoot and Middlesex does warranty their stuff.
But if you have never shot Blackpowder before I would advise getting something cheaper to see if you want to put the time and effort into it. Its not like shooting a smokeless gun. Lots of cleaning AFTER every shooting session ,no letting the gun lay around for a couple of days before getting cleaned. Check on Gunbroker and Auction Arms and look for a .50 cal muzzle-loading pistol as a starter. You can pick up a used CVA for as little as a $100 or less sometimes. But hey JD if you want the howdah and get it and don't like it. Let me know I will be happy to take it off of your hands. For a reduced price that is.:grin:
Keep your powder dry and have a good day guys.

Have to go along with the others. Guns are usable but outside of the "what the heck is that?" factor you'll get at the range, it's not a very practical gun for a starter. They were designed to knock Tony the Tiger off of Dumbo's back before he jumped into the Howdah...hence the name! Unless you expect to have too repel boarders, you might think about something more usable. Good luck with whatever you choose. Besides, a bore like that might be a way to get rid of all the loose .22LR cases laying around the range!! :haha:

Back