• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Your thoughts & experiences with Pyrodex and Blackhorn 209

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron_T.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I started out using Goex FFFg and moved to Swiss FFFg for supposedly better accuracy and somewhat higher velocity. I use them in my two .50 caliber Hawken percussion cap rifles, but the price of Swiss is high and may go higher.

I was hoping some of you who have used either Pyrodex or the Blackhorn 209 in your percussion cap rifles and would be able to answer a few questions for me!?!

1) Is Pyrodex as accurate as Swiss?

2) Does Pyrodex ignite as well and as reliably as real black powder using standard Winchester #11 percussion caps?

3) Can Blackhorn 209 (meant for use in the in-line rifles) be used RELIABLY in a percussion cap rifle or is it just too difficult to ignite?

4) Is Blackhorn 209 as accurate as Pyrodex?

Many "thanks" to those who answer the above questions. :bow:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

2) Does Pyrodex ignite as well and as reliably as real black powder using standard Winchester #11 percussion caps?

3) Can Blackhorn 209 (meant for use in the in-line rifles) be used RELIABLY in a percussion cap rifle or is it just too difficult to ignite?

1) no

2) no

3) no experience with Blackhorn

4) no experience with Blackhorn

CS

Well.. I used to like Pyro until i found out the short yet detectable delayed fire werent just me going loco. That is shooting a 50cal, 80grains, PRB, with Hot Shot Nipple and Mag Caps. I didnt get delayed fires everyshot but unless one is ready for that fast acting second bang and holds that muzzle real tight, Im thinking this could explain the occasional "out of group" flyers.

Ill be trying out REAL Black Powder when going out to the range next SO that I can personally see/hear/feel if there is a difference or not in my rifle. My reasoning is that just like working up a load, different powders might act differently in different ML's. Some guys swear by substitutes so?? Perhaps it could have to do with local weather/seasons as well.

I have not experimented with Blackhorn 209.

Wish you the best!

I can tell you that it leaves little fouling compared to Black powder. It cleans up with oil based solvent. Multiply volume by .7 to give comparable weight. 93 grains by volume = 65 grains in weight.

When you look at the granules of Blackhorn 209 you will notice they are all the same size. It's powerful stuff.

About $28 for 10 oz.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/

Last edited by a moderator:
1. No
2. No
3 and 4. I'll never try it.

I do know some that have had limited success in cartridge guns. But that in itself is worlds away from a PBR in a Trad ML.

Ron T. said:
I started out using Goex FFFg and moved to Swiss FFFg for supposedly better accuracy and somewhat higher velocity. I use them in my two .50 caliber Hawken percussion cap rifles, but the price of Swiss is high and may go higher.

I was hoping some of you who have used either Pyrodex or the Blackhorn 209 in your percussion cap rifles and would be able to answer a few questions for me!?!

Many "thanks" to those who answer the above questions. :bow:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

never mind

:hmm: Hmmmmmmmmm... it appears I'd better stay with FFFg Swiss... the same powder I use in my flintlock Long Rifle. :surrender:

Thank you, gentlemen, for your enlightening & helpful comments. :v

Ron T.

I use Pyrodex interchangeably in my TC cap lock and don't detect any “noticeable” delay. I suspect folks that do, have other issues as well. That said I prefer BP to anything. Pyrodex is just easier to get.
There is no need, or use, for Buckhorn 209 so forget it.

Blackhorn 209 is made for the modern rifles we are not allowed to talk about here. Those who do use Blackhorn 209 seem to really like it. I wouldn't buy it for use in traditional rifles.

Rat Trapper said:
Blackhorn 209 is made for the modern rifles we are not allowed to talk about here. Those who do use Blackhorn 209 seem to really like it. I wouldn't buy it for use in traditional rifles.

It's a BP sub. I don't see the difference in talking about it, or T7, Pyro etc.

It's the modern guns and bullets that shouldn't be talked about.

There is real BP and there is Pyrodex and I don't see any need or use for the others.

ebiggs said:
There is real BP and there is Pyrodex and I don't see any need or use for the others.

There's a use. Even if you don't have the need.

Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I don't see a need for anything but BP for sidelocks, but we already know how that goes over here.

I read on the container of Blackhorn that it requires a shotgun strength 209 primer. Is that really necessary or is it just a trick to get people to buy modern stuff?

Norinco said:
I read on the container of Blackhorn that it requires a shotgun strength 209 primer. Is that really necessary or is it just a trick to get people to buy modern stuff?

It's not a trick. You actually need a hot 209 primer too. Not just any 209.

It's a smokeless powder in disguise, but somehow they got it classified as a BP sub.

So, yes it's made for a modern ML. It can be shot in a sidelock, but you need to use a BP prime to get it to fire.

Just use BP. Less headaches.

Ah, I see.

Good thing real black powder is cheaper even than Blackhorn. Today I got a pound of real black powder for $25 at Basspro. All subs were out of stock except for Blackhorn at $30 or so.

Yeah, I wish I had the extra cash to do a bulk order and save. No matter, I'll support Basspro so they will continue to stock blackpowder. The staff was surprised when I asked for it. At checkout, the cashier asked me what I was going to do with it. I replied, "feed my guns what they were meant for."

Back