• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your Target & Hunting loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 3 ways to look at it
1. Some have 2 loads, one for targets and one for large game
2. Some people’s large game load is their target load.
3. Some use a medium power target load for everything.
A lot of guys shoot small caliber rifles for targets and have no need for a bear load.
Although it is nice to have a plinking load for large caliber rifles.
:2

Great idea, think i'll do that. Got an unfired Uberti Walker replica that's been lying around here for years. All i need are some .45 round balls.

colorado clyde said:
There are 3 ways to look at it
1. Some have 2 loads, one for targets and one for large game
2. Some people’s large game load is their target load.
3. Some use a medium power target load for everything.
A lot of guys shoot small caliber rifles for targets and have no need for a bear load.
Although it is nice to have a plinking load for large caliber rifles.
:2

This is it in a nutshell! Perfect logic to me and I don't expect it to be for others. Keep in mind, I probably am not as experienced as most. :grin:

Mine be one and the same.
Saving a few grains at target doesn't make that much of a difference in the pocket book to me.
Plus a lighter / heavier load oft times changes point of impact.
I'd rather aim for consistency, always knowing that my point of aim and point of impact will always be the same.
Came in handy once when mama bear charged me.

I shoot one load per rifle. For the .54 it's a .530 round ball patched with pillow ticking, and 70 grains of standard GOEX 3Fg. I shoot to practice what I will be shooting when hunting, so I don't want any differences... and I know what sight picture to hold at what ranges as that's how I practice.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I shoot one load per rifle. For the .54 it's a .530 round ball patched with pillow ticking, and 70 grains of standard GOEX 3Fg. I shoot to practice what I will be shooting when hunting, so I don't want any differences... and I know what sight picture to hold at what ranges as that's how I practice.

LD

Yep, there ya' go. That's exactly what I do. If I do have two loads I only use one them. A rifle dedicated to each sport/game. If I need a lighter load or a heavier load I simply go to a larger or smaller caliber.

Just like Cynthia & necchi I stay with one load: 72 gr. of FFFg Goex, .018 pre-lubed pillow-ticking patch & .490 Hornady round ball. Also use same powder charge to launch 370 gr. T/C Maxi's simply by adjusting POA to desired POI with primitive sights. Card-cutting accuracy with my Trade Rifle.

I tap the side of the powder measure & then pour some more powder & tap it again to make sure I'm consistent from shot-to-shot. So if yer gonna only pour & never tap & re-pour, I'd set the measure at 75 gr. to compensate :wink: .

Dave

Reckon every rifle is different to me.
With Fremont the target load is a little Jacks Battle behind a paper patched hollow base. For high power it's a 480 grain round ball and mucho FFg.
With The Rattler it's a .60 ball run through the .595 sizer to make it round and again, mucho, mucho powder.
Little Sheba likes a .399 diameter 250 grain paper patch or a 330 grain lubed lead. And I'm slowly whittling down on how to hit with .395 ball.
The .46 flinter likes .453 round ball only, just the right amount of Jacks Battle and nothing else.
The New Englander is the eternal experiment with a paper patched semi-wadcutter molded from soft lead and 420 grain lubed lead round noses and next is patched round ball just to see if I can make it work in that 24" twist.
There's too much fun!

GPR 54 percussion 530 85 grains Goex fff .15 lubed patch. Like others here I use this load target shooting as well as hunting. Just makes more sense to me that way. On occasion if I'm letting somebody shoot it for the first time or they are of a smaller stature I'll use a lighter load to make them more comfortable.

Mike

Back