• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

YOUR projects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally I carry my boarding axe tucked into the frog of my sword baldric with the face of the axe facing backwards, the trouble with this is that despite having used it to split kindling and firewood multiple times it is still razor sharp and frequently tries to take my thumb off every time my left hand so much as brushes past it. That isn't to say that the blood doesn't add a nice authentic patina to my wardrobe, but it was high time I stop freaking out the flatlanders.

At any rate I started this yesterday and finished it up today. I used some veg tan leather that was about 5oz, double seamed and saddle stitched with a welt. I then used some waxed black linen thread to add a reinforcing decorative whip stitch between the two seams and across the face. 20190514_110637.jpg
20190514_115413.jpg

Normally I carry my boarding axe tucked into the frog of my sword baldric with the face of the axe facing backwards, the trouble with this is that despite having used it to split kindling and firewood multiple times it is still razor sharp and frequently tries to take my thumb off every time my left hand so much as brushes past it. That isn't to say that the blood doesn't add a nice authentic patina to my wardrobe, but it was high time I stop freaking out the flatlanders.

At any rate I started this yesterday and finished it up today. I used some veg tan leather that was about 5oz, double seamed and saddle stitched with a welt. I then used some waxed black linen thread to add a reinforcing decorative whip stitch between the two seams and across the face. View attachment 9763 View attachment 9764

Is that handle maple?

I was needing a scabbard for my new cap + ball pistols and cranked one out yesterday. Its dual purpose as it fits both 1860 Army and the Remington.

View attachment 9716

View attachment 9717

View attachment 9718

View attachment 9719
I was needing a scabbard for my new cap + ball pistols and cranked one out yesterday. Its dual purpose as it fits both 1860 Army and the Remington.

View attachment 9716

View attachment 9717

View attachment 9718

View attachment 9719

Very nice, like it

Is that handle maple?

Yup, repurposed broken table leg turned down I believe.

Edit, looked into it further. It is a hickory haft I believe. I had received this as a gift from my father in law and had to double check. Not sure where he picked this up in his travels, but being as though he has been doing the living history thing for nearing 40 years it could be just about anywhere.

Last edited:
I’ve been re-cutting the rifling on original barrels lately. Ones in rough shape. Guys in my club have been doing this for decades so I decided to learn. I’ve done about a dozen now. It’s a skill all rifle gunsmiths would have had back in the day. Something about restoring an original barrel to shooting condition as it would have been done back then interests and pleases me.

Well I should probably work on my "Franken Bess"... Jap SLP barrel, Pedersoli lock, Dunlap Woodcraft precarved stock... Pedersoli trumpet first ramrod pipe and nosecap. So Now to secure the rest of the hardware and put her together.

I've a bunch of trade knives to finish up...., 1090 carbon steel..., need to finish the grips.

I've several shooting bags to finish. One or two I want to sew with actual deer sinew, just for that extra touch.

Need to dip a bunch of candles.

WOW if I didn't have a kid in college, I could get rid of work... going to the office really cuts down on my project time.

LD

Well I should probably work on my "Franken Bess"... Jap SLP barrel, Pedersoli lock, Dunlap Woodcraft precarved stock... Pedersoli trumpet first ramrod pipe and nosecap. So Now to secure the rest of the hardware and put her together.

I've a bunch of trade knives to finish up...., 1090 carbon steel..., need to finish the grips.

I've several shooting bags to finish. One or two I want to sew with actual deer sinew, just for that extra touch.

Need to dip a bunch of candles.

WOW if I didn't have a kid in college, I could get rid of work... going to the office really cuts down on my project time.

LD

Sounds like your going to be busy!:D

I obviously can't speak to what Tom is using, but I have found that one of the rotary fabric cutters and an Xacto knife with a #11 blade does most of what I need. There is also what is called a swivel knife which is a common leatherworking tool.

That looks good. Nice and neat. What did you use to cut out the shape? When I use scissors, the edges come out funny, and often with one side smaller than the pattern in places.
I used to use an Xacto knife but found that multiple passes are required in order to cut through thick leather. Now I use a straight razor. Sharp as hell and I can slice through in one pass. After stitching the sides together I smooth the edges with a Dremel sanding drum, then apply dye and burnish with a boning tool.

6A6CF627-1451-47B4-BA9A-CC2FF032467D.jpeg
E90544A3-88DC-45DB-85AE-426AFEC2ACC2.jpeg
When I go to the monthly shoot in her gun club with muzzleloaders, I seem to be the last one shooting. So I refuse to be speed up because things happen and people get careless. So I built this little box to take pre-measured plastic tubes I still have to sand and put more true oil on it. And the handle. So this might help me to be a little faster rather than measuring every shot.

View attachment 9811 View attachment 9812 When I go to the monthly shoot in her gun club with muzzleloaders, I seem to be the last one shooting. So I refuse to be speed up because things happen and people get careless. So I built this little box to take pre-measured plastic tubes I still have to sand and put more true oil on it. And the handle. So this might help me to be a little faster rather than measuring every shot.

What kind of wood is that?

Back