• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

YOUR projects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
Finished this yesterday, North West Cartouche knife. Basically just fit some oak scales to it.

Tend to work on horns in the winter, my slow season.
47023438714_ac62d61371_h.jpg

47760783282_4bddd55a99_h.jpg

47812834371_5a38be132e_h.jpg

This one will be for my dog. He's been the best companion, and my only dog. Turning 10 this year. He still has a few left in him.
The horn is half finished. The scrim is going on in pencil at this point. There will be a cameo picture of him in the large oval. Butt cap is curly maple.
When he dies I am having him cremated. Half his ashes will be spread outside the kitchen under his favorite double apple tree. The other half of the ashes will be poured into this horn and the spout glued in. He will then take his proper place on the wall next to the guns he loved to hear me shoot.

But I still have time to work on it. Besides, I told him we would go out for ice cream this weekend.

Tend to work on horns in the winter, my slow season.

This one will be for my dog. He's been the best companion, and my only dog. Turning 10 this year. He still has a few left in him.
The horn is half finished. The scrim is going on in pencil at this point. There will be a cameo picture of him in the large oval. Butt cap is curly maple.
When he dies I am having him cremated. Half his ashes will be spread outside the kitchen under his favorite double apple tree. The other half of the ashes will be poured into this horn and the spout glued in. He will then take his proper place on the wall next to the guns he loved to hear me shoot.

But I still have time to work on it. Besides, I told him we would go out for ice cream this weekend.

I like the picture with the dog, gun and wheel. And thats a nice horn:thumbs up:

My project this Spring has been to remodel the Woodswalk at Friendship. It's 20 years old, so it needs some celebrating, and the Running Boar will eventually be placed right beside it, necessitating some alterations. Big changes include adding a steel handrail at the steps so greybeards can more easily get up and down, moving cut-the-card to a level area (no more slippery hill to climb), and buying and setting up smaller targets for pistols and small caliber rifles (heavy steel targets don't react much to small caliber whacks). Plenty of smaller changes too. There are no more bottlenecks of too much shooting at one station; that was one of the biggest requests!

Some very gung-ho volunteers made a very ambitious project come to life!

"Tend to work on horns in the winter, my slow season." That's so cool to do for yer best friend. I never thought to build a horn to hold my best friend's ashes. I would have to have several horns to store their ashes. I just had my red wolf cremated and her ashes reside in a special box I made for her. 3 more best friends alive and all over 10 years. That's a very nice horn!

I find these very convienent for my hunting pouch straps, and they are so easy to make. Needed one more for a pouch so I threw this one together day before yesterday. An aquaintence who manages a big south Texas game ranch gave me the rear portion of a tanned Kudu skin that had the tail on it. Those tail bristles make good brush bristles!!! Otherwise daughter and SIL’s horses see me approach with scissors in hand! LOL!

I find these very convienent for my hunting pouch straps, and they are so easy to make. Needed one more for a pouch so I threw this one together day before yesterday. An aquaintence who manages a big south Texas game ranch gave me the rear portion of a tanned Kudu skin that had the tail on it. Those tail bristles make good brush bristles!!! Otherwise daughter and SIL’s horses see me approach with scissors in hand! LOL!

Very nice!!
What do you use to secure the bristles?

"What do you use to secure the bristles"

Glue. Usually epoxy.

If you take a small hank of hair and fold it over, fill the hole with glue, then insert the hair at the fold into the glue in the hole, you will find ot works pretty good! Whew! Long sentence! Be sure you start with enough hair to pretty much fill hole beforehand. After it’s set you can trim to length with a pair of scissors. Pretty easy!

"What do you use to secure the bristles"

Glue. Usually epoxy.

If you take a small hank of hair and fold it over, fill the hole with glue, then insert the hair at the fold into the glue in the hole, you will find ot works pretty good! Whew! Long sentence! Be sure you start with enough hair to pretty much fill hole beforehand. After it’s set you can trim to length with a pair of scissors. Pretty easy!
Thanks !!
I'll try that out!!

View attachment 9575 View attachment 9576 View attachment 9577 My first black powder project along with some knives I made. Bottom knife is made from a horse hoof file.
View attachment 9575 View attachment 9576 View attachment 9577 My first black powder project along with some knives I made. Bottom knife is made from a horse hoof file.
I got your reply about the knife Ames but the grandson has already latched onto this one. Thanks for the compliment.

Been out of state hunting apartments, but got some time to get started on my new rifle bag (possibles bag). Using Ken Scott's design for a late 1700/early 1800 Kentucky bag but with some slight modifications for my materials and personal preference. Using Buckskin, Groundhog Hide, some home-spun cloth, and linen thread. The inner bag pocket is sized to fit my antler tip primer. Got the bellows done and now need to fit and cut the flap - it will be Groundhog with tail on.

Attachments

• Getting Started.jpg
    Getting Started.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Bellows-Done.jpg
    Bellows-Done.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 142
Ames, love the Gordon. Don't see many of those. Had one years ago. Best bird dog one could ask for. Another will be my retirement present to myself.

Back