• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your preferred hearing protection?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent/OH

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I use foam earplugs when I shoot, but earmuffs when I mow(kind of a loud mower). Foam plugs fit in my shooting box better, of course, but I'm thinking the muffs are more comfortable, and much easier to put on.

Do you have a preference for one or the other, and why?

If you prefer muffs, what factors do you consider in your choice of muffs?

I have a set of custom ear plugs but I seldom were them because they are such a PITA to install. I normally use Sonic Ear Valves, because they let you hear normal conversation, but shut down at anything above 85 decibels. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Foam ear plugs. I've been using them for shooting for 30 years, and I used to wear them all day every day when I was working in door shops, so I'm used to having them in for long periods.

I have some ear muffs, but I rarely use them. Usually just at an indoor range when I double them up with ear plugs for more protection. But I haven't been to an indoor range for years.

foam earplugs, they dont interfere with your hat!
...found myself w/out earplugs of any kind the other day so i rolled up a couple cleaning patches and stuffed em in my ears...it worked.

I like ear muffs. Any type suits me. I put the handle part behind my head and it doesn't bother my hat.
Larry

Earmuffs when shooting (sometimes also use foam earplugs for added protection). Started wearing Caldwell electronic earmuffs when night-hunting hogs from a treestand; when turned on the amplified hearing helps since I have hearing loss. Going to start using them for deer hunting this fall.

I got myself a pair of the Allen Sound Sensor protectors (about $18) and they are the cat's arse. Light and comfortable. 26dB noise reduction - check that against whatever you are considering.

allen-sound-sensor-hearing-protection-lg.jpg

I mostly use the cheap foam ones but
I use muffs for long days at the range when I'll be taking them on and off a lot. They both work though.
FWIW I used to see a lot of old NCO's use cigarette butts at the ranges, I guess whatever works.

I have been using foam ear plugs for many years.
I had an ear infection from them awhile back and have ordered Caldwell electronic earmuffs. They should be hear any day now. They seemed to have good reviews and not break the bank.

Don

Foam earplugs are very handy. Easy to stow and carry and if you run out of gum just dip them in toothpaste and your back in business! :grin:

I have used both I much prefer muffs but they are a major PIA with my glasses so been using plugs more lately. Had a allens type for a day and broke em...seemed to work VERY well and not interfere with the glasses. Will pick up another pair (won mine) next time I see em.

Dixie Flinter said:
Earmuffs when shooting (sometimes also use foam earplugs for added protection). Started wearing Caldwell electronic earmuffs when night-hunting hogs from a treestand; when turned on the amplified hearing helps since I have hearing loss. Going to start using them for deer hunting this fall.
I use the Caldwell e-low profile and like'm for the same reason, I'm already deaf and the volume control is nice, the "cut-out" for loud noise works really well and you can still hear conversation and more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvloO-eMds
I've been tempted to use them for hunting, but if there's a stiff wind it can mess with the mics,,

The muff's are just for range use,,
Rendezvous won't allow muffs so it's plain ole plugs, I like the second ones shown on this page called Premolded Reusable Earplugs; http://www.coopersafety.com/earplugtypes.aspx
Easy in for shooting, easy out for talking,,

Last edited by a moderator:
When using ear muffs it is all about the Db reduction. The yellow foam types have the most reduction. About 31Db. The muffs are more convenient for taking on and off but don't have the rating of the foamies. I worked in a paper mill for 30yrs. and tried them all. The tapered foam types also do well. Muffs and plugs used together give a little more reduction, but not as much as you might think. 1-2Db. Also the earplug ratings are for constant noise not the impulse noise of gunfire. Just have to experiment with different plugs for gunfire.

I still like the foam ear plugs. Especially if everyone else is shooting black powder. But if you're near someone shooting a modern high power rifle, the muffs need to go on. At least that's been my experience. Rick. :hatsoff:

I use the disposable squishy plugs (they're free at the mill where I work, and management has said that they don't mind if you have a few in your pocket for stuff like mowing the lawn) ... I also put on muffs for extra protection, since I have hearing loss anyway)

by the way, the cigarette butt trick really doesn't provide that much protection ... probably better than nothing, but I wouldn't bet what's left of my hearing on it ... I dunno ... maybe NCO c-butts have magic properties?

I use a pair of Radians ear plugs that I custom formed from an inexpensive kit I bought from Natchez SS. They only fit my ears but they fit great and work well. If I'm shooting an "eargesplitten loudenboomer", I'll wear the plugs plus a pair of muffs.

I should have adopted this regimen decades ago since I'm about half deaf now.

Back