• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Your pistol loading stand.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a nice piece of 1x4 maple to build one and would like to see what you folks have built. BTW this is going to perform double duty charging my 1858 and my plains pistol.

I also want to put felt or something on the base to keep from marring my finish on these guns. What have you guys used for that? I also wonder if I should put something on it where the barrel will contact it.

Thanks in advance.

Pittburghunter: You may find you need 2 loading stations. The 1858 rests on the butt and is held by the frame near the cylinder and hammer. A pistol rests on the butt and is generally held in a (U) shaped bracket near the muzzle as it needs a ramrod to load. Yes you can use material or leather anywhere your pistol touches the loading block frame. Pistol blocks are usually several inches taller than revolver blocks I don't have a picture of the difference but maybe someone else does. They make shooting pistols much more fun than having to load by holding in your hand.
Good Shooting. Fox :thumbsup:

Pittsburghunter

This is the stand I use. I was going to make one but found this one at Cabela's for about $10. It works good for revolvers.

103053386.jpg

Thanks guys you are probabally right I will need two stands. I have over 4' of this board so I should be able to make both out of it. PC is right that would look good in a glass case.

You don't happen to have any rough measurements of that stand? How about a pic w/o the revolver? Thank you!!

I built a stand modeled after the one in the owners manual from Thompson Center, it was designed for their Patriot Pistol, but it works great for all pistols, I use it for cap and ball revolvers(all styles) as well as plains pistol, kentucky pistol, etc. I don't have a way to show photo , maybe somone else has this stand. Save your wood and build this stand. Then you need only one. happy hunting.

mothernatureson

Pittsburghunter

I'm at work right now but I'll get some measurements for you tonight and a picture without the gun sitting in it.

BTW, Cabela's uses that stand to display some of their revolvers in glass cases.

Pittsburghunter

The base of the stand measures 6 1/2 inches long, 3 1/4 inches wide and is 3/4 inch thick. The upright is 3 7/8 inches tall. The upright sits 1 7/8 inches from the back edge. The groove that holds the butt of the gun is 1/4 inch deep.
Hope this helps.

Thank you John M. I really appriciate the help. Knowing the basic dimensions will speed up the project quite a bit. I think I may build one first out of pine to tweek it a bit before I put my saw to the maple. You know what they say practice makes perfect and with wood I am far from perfect.

I would also like to thank the other poster for the T/C plans offer I already have those and am thinking about using them as well not verbatum but as a starting point for a single shot stand. Now where do I find Zonies halfmoon silver inlets? I need at least one on a homemade pistol stand.

Latest posts

Back