Quantcast

Your period outfit (clothing) pictures

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Broken tailed dog

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've sure enjoyed these post and pictures trying hard to get started but it so hard to find anyone out here with much knowledge..I have one fellow thats helped me along some and I've purchased a few things from him...He just tells me it's kinda dieing away..man i wished I'd started years ago...well thanks for the info and pictures...

Two Elks

32 Cal
Reaction score
My daughter and I in our period wear. We each won 1st place at a major rendevous (sp?) a few years ago. I took the deer the skins were taken from and had them tanned. We each made our garments completely, including the beading. My beaver hat was purchased and had made by a Crow American. I also carved my horn and scrimshawed it. I portray a free trapper in the 1830's.

Attachments

Broken tailed dog

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thats really nice work you and your daughter did ...Something to be proud..just seems like theres not a lot of stuff like that goes on in my state or at least I've never heard or know of ..about the only way i can learn anything is this forum reading from what people write...

Two Elks

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thank you very much Broken Tail Dog. What state are you in ?? I thought there were rondevous (sp?) in every state. I'm from Iowa, but doing a project in Mobile Alabama for the next 9 months.

Broken tailed dog

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ky ...There might be something in my state but I sure don't where to find it ..They have the Friendship in Indiana twice a year...I haven't had the opportunity to go yet...I guess i just got interested too late..You'd think that ky the way it is lots of people would be doing early amer

Broken tailed dog

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure but it hard to find anyone local thats knowledgeable to try and help you out with the year of dress types of supplies to purchase and ect...My older friend has helped me a lot but to a limit..I reckon I wore him out talking about it and he told me about alot ..But he said its on its way out he'd been doing it since the 80s what was once 1000 or so is down to the 100s..

Hiparoo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been involved in this thing we do since 1985, I've seen events come and go. It's not dying, it's changing. I rarely do any organized events, and here in Colorado there's only a handful of rendezvous. Lots of information available via the internet, such as this site. Check the other forums, search the discussions, ask the questions. You will get out of it what you put into it. There is so much more information available in 2019 vs 1985. And part of it is doing your own research, and getting out in the woods. Best of luck to you.

Coot

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Ky ...There might be something in my state but I sure don't where to find it ..They have the Friendship in Indiana twice a year...I haven't had the opportunity to go yet...I guess i just got interested too late..You'd think that ky the way it is lots of people would be doing early amer
Get a copy (or subscribe to) of "Smoke & Fire" - a newspaper that lists events for various time periods all over the country. Most/many of the events listed have websites that give info/requirements for their event.

Grumpa

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
But he said its on its way out he'd been doing it since the 80s what was once 1000 or so is down to the 100s..
But there is you to add to that number, and someone who sees you, and gets interested in what you're doing. What we see on here is often old folks portraying what would have been young folks. And they are not going to quit until they are too old to do it, because they have put so much of themselves into it, and they have a lot of knowledge, hard gained, to SHARE! We can only hope that young folks who come along and see these old re-enactors may think to themselves: "What's wrong with this picture?" And maybe they will be inspired to look further into this way of life, and see something worth the effort to preserve it. And maybe that young person will take to the trail and help to carry this on - for it is too important to let it fall by the wayside.

Richard/Grumpa

Broken tailed dog

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
But there is you to add to that number, and someone who sees you, and gets interested in what you're doing. What we see on here is often old folks portraying what would have been young folks. And they are not going to quit until they are too old to do it, because they have put so much of themselves into it, and they have a lot of knowledge, hard gained, to SHARE! We can only hope that young folks who come along and see these old re-enactors may think to themselves: "What's wrong with this picture?" And maybe they will be inspired to look further into this way of life, and see something worth the effort to preserve it. And maybe that young person will take to the trail and help to carry this on - for it is too important to let it fall by the wayside.

Richard/Grumpa

Broken tailed dog

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Me not being a young man wished that I had got involved years ago..But I had no knowledge guess I wasn't looking either too busy try to eeke out a living..And I guess if maybe I'd met my buddie years ago he'd would been more informative...I've tried talking my son into joining me it this venture but at no luck..so I carry forward looking help along the way from people on this forum..So ill be asking tons of questions along the way ...So Thanks to you and all.