Your period outfit (clothing) pictures

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife bought me a palm hat for Christmas, unfortunately it is not a "Sam Houston" or that style. It does have a wide brim though. I've yet to shape it. From what I've read its done by wetting. I don't like the idea of submerging a new hat , mainly for what it does to leather sweatbands. Would steam work on a palm like it does on felt?

RanchRoper

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Never steamed one. Water trough is how I do it. Just dunk it and shape. It will dry however you shape it. Or run tap water on brim or crown.

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Mine is similar though not 6" probably more like 5"crown. So you think dunking it is the proper way?And won't shrink the sweatband?

kje54

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is similar though not 6" probably more like 5"crown. So you think dunking it is the proper way?And won't shrink the sweatband?
Grosgrain ribbon (most commonly used for fabric hatbands) is made out of rayon these days and yes, while rayon can shrink in the wash it will not if certain precautions are taken. Do NOT dunk it in 98+ degree water and never spin dry it or rub it when wet. That said for getting it wet to shape it use cool water and let it dry naturally and you should be okay. If the band is poly then you don't have to worry about it at all.

On their website, how to shape the hats:

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=26

kje54

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like something John Sutter would wear!
Not during the initial find and subsequent gold rush based on the boots alone. Those are what we now call "Preacher Boots" (don't ask me how they got that name) and they didn't show up in our historical record until the mid - late 1870s. Everything else is late 1840s through the mid 1870s though some articles of the clothing were rarely seen past the 1860s.

KLWeaver

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Most recent picture of my husband and I. I was dressed Scottish Metis, with wrap skirt, chemise, Loyalist victory coat, stockings and buckle shoes. I almost always do Metis in some form because I can't stand to wear stays or restrictive clothing.
20210326_190030.jpg

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not during the initial find and subsequent gold rush based on the boots alone. Those are what we now call "Preacher Boots" (don't ask me how they got that name) and they didn't show up in our historical record until the mid - late 1870s. Everything else is late 1840s through the mid 1870s though some articles of the clothing were rarely seen past the 1860s.
Can one get federal period boots. You see revoutitary boots and WTBS boots. I don’t like boots myself so can’t tell you much and couldn’t tell an 1840 boot from a 1900 boot but have noticed a lack of boots from the mid years

kje54

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Can one get federal period boots. You see revoutitary boots and WTBS boots. I don’t like boots myself so can’t tell you much and couldn’t tell an 1840 boot from a 1900 boot but have noticed a lack of boots from the mid years
Wellingtons and The Hessian boot became quite popular, during that period the Hessian boot is called the Georgian boot. Fugawee claims the Stove Pipe boot dates from 1747 to 1900.