• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your Opinion Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently got an 1850 - 60 half stock. It is in shooting condition but doesn't look the best. The stock has had both sides of the barrel channel replaced for about 1/2", but not to good a job. I was trying to decide on making a neater repair or a new stock and setting the original aside and keep it till who knows when.

Unless it’s something very special, I see no problem with either approach. Doing a rebuild takes more effort but you won’t have to worry it’s going to crack the old stock when you shoot and use it.

dpw21562 said:
The gun only has full cock position with the double set trigger, should it have a half cock position ?

That's common for the period. The rifle has to be set to be fired.

It's possible that the half cock notch could be broken but likely, it does not have one.

Have you made sure it's not loaded?

How old is the repair?
If it's real old I would probably do nothing. If it's an old repair that shows someone in the past cared enough for it to attempt a repair. Sometimes the repairs are more interesting than the rifle.

Rifles from this period have little value unless it's something special like Rich said.....
like a famous maker...
regional significance....
famous or revered owner (a family gun will only have sentimental value for that family)

Sometimes these make good shooters. I want to caution you though...it is 150 years old.

This is the time period when early steels start replacing iron as rifle barrels. Sometimes the early steels were not so good.

There have been cases where rifles barrels of this age have failed even with blank loads. In the cases I know of BP substitutes were used.

If you must shoot it, I would use light loads with real black powder only and only after I had the barrel checked by a gunsmith.

Personally,
I would not restock it. I would not use the barrel in a new stock...
It I went that far I would build a new rifle based on the old rifle using all new components built to the shape of the original.

If it was mine I would most likely keep it as it is.

But ....It's not mine.

Hi,
It is possible to replace a tumbler but we have to see the inside of the lock to be sure. Fitting one will take work and it also must have a fly to work with set triggers. The fly prevents the sear from falling into the halfcock notch when the gun is fired.

dave

:photoSmile:

Sometimes the oldies are best not messed with. But get some pics up and the experts (not I) will be better able to advise. But, you asked for opinion, that I'm sure to have. :grin:

I do try no to 'throw stones' or be negative, but if the guy can't figure out how to focus a camera, he should take the part (which might be a tumbler, but you really can't tell) to a competent gunsmith.

one guy's opinion... free and doubtless well worth the price.

I do try no to 'throw stones' or be negative, but if the guy can't figure out how to focus a camera, he should take the part (which might be a tumbler, but you really can't tell) to a competent gunsmith.

one guy's opinion... free and doubtless well worth the price.
Ain't the focus, just not "techy" enough to pist.

Back