Your New Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by -, Nov 4, 2005.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2005 #41

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Since this only fails for some users, It's hard to diagnose and since it works for some, there's nothing we can "fix" at our end. I suspect it's somehow related to the cookies stored either by your browser or the site.

You can clear your site cookies by clicking on the "Help" tab above and choosing "My Cookies". Clearing the cache and cookies in your browser, then restarting is also worth a try.

2. Nov 6, 2005 #42

AZ-Robert

AZ-Robert

AZ-Robert

45 Cal.

I had a problem similar to that when I first tried to change my settings. Finally noticed there was a spurious entry in the field for the date format (had some extra letters on the end of it) so the system kept rejecting my attempt to proceed. Finally saw and removed the extra letters, but none of the other changes took! Turned out it kept resetting to default each time it rejected my previous attempts. So, took out the extra letters, changed the other settings AGAIN, and finally got it through.

Give that a try -- look at your date field and make sure it doesn't have an "h:i A" after the "y". If it does, just delete that junk (should have only 3 letters separated by slashes in the date field), make your other changes, then hit "proceed."

3. Nov 6, 2005 #43

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Excellent point. I use "g:i a" for my time setting, which gives me, 8:30 am.

Here is the format for the date and time settings.

This can be used to customize the display of the time.
    Common Formats:
    "h:i A" produces a time like: 08:15 AM
    "H:i.s" produces a time like: 20:15.04
    "g.i a" produces a time like: 8.15 am

Use the following letters to customize the time format:

a - am or pm
    A - AM or PM
    g - Hour, 12-hour format without leading zeros; 1 to 12
    G - Hour, 24-hour format without leading zeros; 0 to 23
    h - Hour, 12-hour format; 01-12
    H - Hour, 24-hour format; 00 to 23
    i - Minutes; 00 to 59
    s - Seconds; 00 to 59

Legal seperators:
    space
    -
    /
    :

4. Nov 6, 2005 #44

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

The above dates and times look correct to me.

You may want to look at your display settings and check your time zone. Everyone starts out with Greenwich time; that's why we suggested that everyone go to their Control Panel and check their settings.

5. Nov 6, 2005 #45

Uncle Jed

Uncle Jed

Uncle Jed

36 Cal.

Wee-Doggies, The forum is as pretty as a bag filled with stripped candy.

6. Nov 6, 2005 #46

DGeraths

DGeraths

DGeraths

40 Cal.

I fully agree. The new look is "noisy" and commercial. The old forum was simpler, easier to navigate and overall easier on the eyes.

My two cents...(I would use the smiley but IT'S GONE AS WELL!) :confused:

7. Nov 6, 2005 #47

hobbles

hobbles

hobbles

50 Cal.

Mornin claude,
    I like the Current Quotes,
    I need somethin to think bout,,,

8. Nov 6, 2005 #48

SavageArcher

SavageArcher

SavageArcher

40 Cal.

AZ-roberts, tried it and it worked, finally got the display more or less customized to my tastes.

Now one more complaint. Wheres the link section gone to? :confused: I hope its coming back.

9. Nov 6, 2005 #49

sniper68

sniper68

sniper68

50 Cal.

The only bugs I could detect is the pesky side bar :cursing: and the blue gray color!! Not bein one to complain, I used my computer savey to create a "program patch" for the side bar. :hmm: :rotf: I guess I can live with the color. All & all life is good again.. Thanks to Claude... :applause: :applause:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nov 6, 2005 #50

musketman

musketman

musketman

Passed On

Sniper68, nice use of duct tape... :rotf:

11. Nov 6, 2005 #51

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

It's on the main page, with all the other forums.

Oh... you will have to scroll down to see it. :grin:

12. Nov 6, 2005 #52

musketman

musketman

musketman

Passed On

It's below the Photo section...

13. Nov 6, 2005 #53

Rebel

Rebel

Rebel

Cannon MLF Supporter

You must have read my post before i deleted it Claude. I figured that time zone thing out just after i posted that question, and then went back and deleted it. Thanks for the info though.

14. Nov 6, 2005 #54

SavageArcher

SavageArcher

SavageArcher

40 Cal.

Gee thats emberassing the link section was right under my nose. I got so use to clicking on the title on top of the page. Now I gotta find something else to nitpick about. :hmm:

15. Nov 7, 2005 #55

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

The avitar, time zone & proceed functions started working on their own. Only the "jump to new post" still isn't working for me even after I later cleared the cookies (twice) through the help tab as you suggested. Then I logged back in. Is that what you meant by "Clearing the cache and cookies in [my] browser, then restarting ..." or is there another procedure? Thanks for your help.

16. Nov 7, 2005 #56

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

After clearing the cookies and cache in your browser, you should quit the browser, then restart it, then login.

17. Nov 18, 2005 #57

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

Claude, I did the procedures that you recommended. However, nothing worked to enable the auto jump to function. I waited until now to respond so that I could try another browser on another computer which I am on right now and the auto jump still won't function. It appears that something is wrong with your server or program and it's very frustrating. I also noticed that I lost a post from about a week before the recent switchover without a trace. I don't believe the lost post is important, but could it indicate that something else in the program was lost in the transfer as well that results in me being unable to get the auto jump to function? I am now more convinced that it's not my computer or browser that's causing this problem. Is there anything you can do do help me on your end? If it doesn't get resolved at some point would a reregistration be considered a solution? Please help...SOS! :grin:

18. Nov 18, 2005 #58

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

No. The current system and the old one are not connected in any way. The lost posts have to do with a malfunction of the import script, which is a separate program from both the old and new forums.

The failure of some browsers to jump to the new posts in the thread is not related to the "server". It is a function of the browser being able to interpret the current software.

Why it works for most people, but not for others is a mystery that has not be solved, yet.

You could try that, but you would loose your 400+ posts.

Does clicking on the "Jump to New Posts" icon work for you? -> [​IMG]

You mention trying a different browser. Was that just a different version of the same browser, or a completely different "company's" browser?

19. Nov 18, 2005 #59

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

When you open a thread which contains new posts, looking at the resulting URL will tell you something.

If there are new posts, it should look something like this...

Code:
    http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/186943/post/new/#NEW
    Notice the "#NEW" on the end. That tells the browser to scroll down the list of posts and stop at the first post that is "flagged" with the "#NEW" tag. This is not browser specific and all current browsers should read this correctly.

We don't know why some people are experiencing this, but we will continue looking into it.

20. Nov 21, 2005 #60

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

Gee whiz, the first time I ever saw that arrow icon was in you post. I can't find one of those icons on any of my pages, you're saying there is supposed to be one whenever I open a new thread to read, right? (On other forum sites I visit, [with ultimate bb], that arrow type of icon appears at the top left above the first post and it works when I use it. Here, I don't even have the icon. That's one more reason I guess I'm frustrated.
    I do get the "new/#NEW" at the end of the URL when I first open a thread with a new post, and I also see the numbered boxes (with the # of new posts) on the index page, but the posts won't jump beyond the very top of any page and there isn't any manual jump icon appearing for me to click on anywhere.
    All the numbered boxes listing new post #'s seem to easily disappear from an entire subforum even if I don't actually visit & read one thread in the forum and I reload the index page.
    I had visited my son's university (UCONN) to pick him up where he has a different internet provider and I used his Microsoft Internet Explorer (I usually don't), and I don't recall seeing the icon either. I'm sorry to keep bothering you about it all.