• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Your most 'interesting' muzzleloader transaction ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Gun Broker and most of the other gun sales sites, you have to trust the seller. I saw a beautiful shotgun stock on a shotgun in Gun Broker. I immediately bought the shotgun. Then I started reading the huge paragraph associated with the sale. I read in the middle of the paragraph that the shotgun pictured might not be the one I would receive. Not a true bait and switch, but enough that I refused to buy the shotgun and was removed from Gun Broker for six months. The dealer didn't last long either.
That is a big fear I mentioned earlier in this interesting thread. Its just too easy substituting a different picture misleading the buyer.

We were enjoying a couple beers at rendevous when an olc couple walked by. About 10 minutes later they were walking out. I said" you couldnt possibly have seen everything" he says well those people arent too friendly, WELL says I sit down and have a beer with us. We became good friends and wound up shooting together off and on for the next 15 years or so, About another ten later he contacted me and told me because of that day I offered him a beer and friendship into this wonderful hobby, he couldnt see very well or shoot anymore,he gave me his Caywood Wilson tradegun.

Yeah, 20 years ago, there was a rather infamous gunsmith and supplier of BPCR items who had been making a good name for himself. He was taking the orders in, receiving deposits on items to be produced. He had developed some highly desired parts for obsolete arms. Don't know the cause for discord, but his wife's attorney lowered the boom, froze his accounts, had his shop locked down as a marital asset, pending a property division that went on for over a year. Guy lost everything and what had been a good name. Literally hundreds of people bad mouthing him over refunds and unfilled orders. I understand he felt there was no way he could start over and rebuild the old business with his reputation ruined and even if he wanted to, there was no way to repay those who lost money.
Blame his ex wife not him he got the same as you.

Blame his ex wife not him he got the same as you.
Oh I do, but also, HIS lack of proper book keeping/accounting to be able to keep the customer's money separate. Ability to account for what's not rightly mine yet, isn't that hard. Gunsmith's keep customer's names on guns and log them in and out. If a creditor ever seized a gun shop, the curtomer's guns should be easy to identify.

With Gun Broker and most of the other gun sales sites, you have to trust the seller. I saw a beautiful shotgun stock on a shotgun in Gun Broker. I immediately bought the shotgun. Then I started reading the huge paragraph associated with the sale. I read in the middle of the paragraph that the shotgun pictured might not be the one I would receive. Not a true bait and switch, but enough that I refused to buy the shotgun and was removed from Gun Broker for six months. The dealer didn't last long either.

I do a bunch of buying and selling on Gunbroker. So far only been stuck once by a seller but it wasn’t that bad. The seller neglected to tell me the hammer wouldn’t stay in the cocked position and the trigger was stuck on a 28 gauge flintlock I purchased as a project gun. I didn’t get too upset about it because I only paid a little over a hundred bucks for it and it is in otherwise great shape. And I bought it for a project gun so it will be taken apart and everything reworked anyway. And it is a 28 gauge flint. I knew I wouldn’t be finding another one that cheap so sure wasn’t sending it back. Always be sure to read and reread the complete description as well as any terms or conditions the seller has on the listing. Ask any questions before bidding. Be specific, like “is this the same gun I will be getting?” or “does the hammer and lock work as they should?”. Also request additional pictures before bidding if needed. Tell the seller specifically what part of the gun you want to see pictures of and most reputable sellers will not mind doing that for you.

I make and sell outdoorsy stuff on ebay and etsy for a living and also sell guns on Gunbroker. With all three sites, I’ve had way more trouble from buyers who don’t read listings or payment terms then I have with sellers being misleading jerks. It has been my experience some buyers see the picture and the price and jump straight to buy it now without reading the listing or doing their due diligence. I’ve even had a few tell me that. Had to cancel several orders because they didn’t read the ad before buying.

Here is an example. One thing I do is make custom ferro rods with antler or wood handles. In the listings for each style there are multiple pictures. There will be a picture that shows several rods side by side to demonstrate the differences from one to the other due to being handmade. The listing clearly says in several places “This listing is for one ferro rod only”. Someone will buy and, when they get their package, I will get a nasty email wanting to know where the rest of their ferro rods are thinking they were getting three or four for ten bucks. So far I have won the argument each time as none of them have left negative feedback. I tell them to go back and read the listing. Then they always mail me back and say they hadn’t read the listing and were wrong. So far so good, but this is just one example. Nothing is hidden or misleading in any of my listings but, if the buyer doesn’t read it, then it doesn’t really matter what the listing says.

It is the seller’s responsibility to be a straight-up guy and give decent and honest customer service, which is what I have built my little business on, but it is on the buyer to make sure they understand what is being offered. We all know there are plenty of folks out there that will stick you, especially online, so be sure to protect yourself any way you can before buying. And Gunbroker has buyer protection. If you do get bent over Gunbroker can get involved if needed. Just my two cents, but I hate to see good people get screwed by crappy online sellers.

My best and heart warming transaction; My archer buddy was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he was once into buckskinning and B/P shooting, I shot a TC flintlock.

He called me to his house when things looked bleak, he walked over to his custom flintlock on the wall, took it off the wall and put it in my lap. He said "this is yours now, you are the only one I know who will use and enjoy it".

He then proceeded to give me everything he had B/P related, a Goustomsky trade gun, two pistols, two tackle boxes full of everything, multiple molds and 4 sets of intricate bags with scrimshawed horns and stag handle knives and much more.

Words can't describe how this gesture touched my heart, I sold my TC stuff and started building rifles because of the direction he pointed me, I had never shot a properly built longrifle before, his had a Bill Large barrel and a Roller lock, nuff said.

My best and heart warming transaction; My archer buddy was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he was once into buckskinning and B/P shooting, I shot a TC flintlock.

He called me to his house when things looked bleak, he walked over to his custom flintlock on the wall, took it off the wall and put it in my lap. He said "this is yours now, you are the only one I know who will use and enjoy it".

He then proceeded to give me everything he had B/P related, a Goustomsky trade gun, two pistols, two tackle boxes full of everything, multiple molds and 4 sets of intricate bags with scrimshawed horns and stag handle knives and much more.

Words can't describe how this gesture touched my heart, I sold my TC stuff and started building rifles because of the direction he pointed me, I had never shot a properly built longrifle before, his had a Bill Large barrel and a Roller lock, nuff said.

It is terrible what happened to your buddy but also very awesome of him for what he did for you in the end. Sounds like a real friend and a good guy. Thanks for sharing. Florence is a great area, by the way...

It is the seller’s responsibility to be a straight-up guy and give decent and honest customer service, which is what I have built my little business on, but it is on the buyer to make sure they understand what is being offered. We all know there are plenty of folks out there that will stick you, especially online, so be sure to protect yourself any way you can before buying. And Gunbroker has buyer protection. If you do get bent over Gunbroker can get involved if needed. Just my two cents, but I hate to see good people get screwed by crappy online sellers.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with you that the wind blows both ways. If the seller had placed in the picture or in bold type under the picture, that the stock wasn't the one I was going to get, I would have no reason to complain. But I saw that stock, and knew that unless I hit that buy it now button, it would be gone. I fell into the trap the seller had set. It was an absolutely beautiful stock with various color hues in it. It has been 15 years or so but I can still see that stock. Part of my anger was that I had fallen into the trap, but most of it was the loss of that beautiful stock. It was like holding out a huge piece of candy and then jerking it away. I have seen many sales since and the warning, "NOT THE ACTUAL ITEM BEING SOLD" tells me the vendor is a person of integrity.

Yesterday I received a flintlock I purchased on gunbroker last week. I had been holding out for a .54 caliber flintlock. The rifle was a 50 caliber that had been commissioned for someone but never fired, I decided I would go ahead and bid on the rifle as I really thought it was beautiful. When it arrived low and behold it was a 54 caliber and much more beautiful in person.
Shawn

Finding my laminated stock ( factory) TC Hawken (one of the rarest TCs), not knowing anything about her other than she looked really neat. Asking price was $325. Got her for $250.
She was unfired, or close to it, when I got her. She shoots VERY well! And, is hard on deer...

Maybe he is getting older and starting to have memory issues. My mom and sister are going through that now and they get angry at times. My guess is they are more angry at themselves than anything.

Not all that strange but about 35 years back I was dealing with a pawn shop to buy a gun. The owner was hardly ever there and only dropped in on occasion. I made an offer on the gun and they said they had to wait until he came in to say yes or no. Took about a week before he came in and then they said the gun had to be held for 3 days before I could pick it up. I tried to explain, no, it didn't because in wasn't a fire arm like regular guns but I was tired of arguing and really wanted the gun so I filled out the paper work and waited.
Like they couldn't just CALL the owner to ask? Kind of like waiting for the Wizard to appear from behind a curtain or something!

Not necessarily "strange," but definitely out of the ordinary. I was walking around a gunshow in Conway, AR looking for beater muzzleloaders to rehabilitate and resell. Wasn't seeing much, but did see what looked to be a Dixie Tennessee Rifle in one dealer's rack. Thought I would look, just because I was bored. Nice custom gun with what I found out later was a well known Texas builder's name stamped on top of barrel. Was admiring it and took a squint at price tag. Be still my heart. It said "MUZZLELOADER $100." Looked closer, thinking it must be either $700 or partially rubbed off. Nope! Clearly printed $100. Seller said he thought it was a kit gun and that the owner must have been proud enough to stamp his name on top. I tried not to tremble as I pulled out my cash. He reached under the table and brought out a ratty looking milsurp bag and said it had stuff to go with gun. I didn't look inside, as I was about to start crying as it was. Casually sauntered down the aisle and then skittered around the corner to an empty table for a better assessment. Rifle was used, but in great shape. Bag had two powder measures, ball starter, quick loaders, four tins of caps, #10 and 11, and some really questionable and powdery .50 roundballs. And a half pound of FFG GOEX from the early 80s. I don't think anything like this will happen to me again.
Cool story! No, it won't happen again, but that's a memorable "gun show" tale; :)

Yeah I had one last year. I did a lot of research over the years for a custom flintlock. I finally chose a builder called and he gave me a build time of just 45 days! I was stoked! No long wait! Well he requested I pay in full, which I wasn't to keen on, but I was so excited over the short build time I paid. I waited two months and texted to get an update and was told he was half finished. Anyway I would text him once a month for any updates. On month 5 he informs me he's had an unexpected 2nd run of radiation for his thyroid and hasn't had the strength to work! The next month he posted on Facebook that the L&R locks are manure, just the lock he talked me into going for. So I ask for a refund to which he says he's broke and would have to finish the rifle to sell to give refund?! So anyway I get a different story every time I contact him. So after a year I finally contact my credit card company and got my refund. If it sounds to good to be true.....
Oh by the way the day after I ordered the rifle this builder won the Master of Arms TV show.
I had a musket back in the 70's or early 80's that got sent to a highly regarded man who was known for restoring such items; he was older at the time, and then his wife died which really set him back. It took two years but the work was nice and reasonable. Oh, it had a musket ball in it! Always check for a charge in any older (or newer) muzzleloader! I didn't ask him for the ball, would have like to have it, and he didn't offer it. All us older collector/shooters/enactors have tales to tell of finds, losses, and "wished I haddas"!

In high school,with NO money. Stopped at a yard sale.they had some old shotguns, nothing worthwhile. Then the guy hollers at his wife, “bring out them other guns!” Well...... nice double percussion, like new, but very old. AND.....a percussion target rifle, large adjustable peep sight, about a 1 and a eighth inch barrel. Engraved lock and trigger guard, very good shape. “ well young man, I need $100 for the shotgun , and $150 for the rifle “ NO one would lend me the cash, my own dad just laughed and said no....by the time I got back they were sold....🤬
Should have reminded dear ol dad that someday he will be bed ridden and relying on pain meds.

A few years ago my dad bought a bunch of woodworking machines from someone getting a bad case of alzheimers. It was getting to the point where it was no longer safe for him to go in the workshop. Dad made the deal with him and his wife. I went along to help load everything into the truck. The guy would be friendly and help with loading stuff then all of a sudden freak out and start screaming that we are stealing his tools and he is going to call the police. My dad and his wife would get him calmed down and remind him that he sold all the machines. Then 10 minutes later he would get mad at us for stealing his machines and had no idea who any of us were. I was pretty anxious to get finished up and out of there. Dad overpaid but the money was going to pay for assisted living place so it was no big deal.

I posted this story in the pistol forum previously, so here goes.
Just a note: You don't get a damn thing in Australia for $150.

$150 for this navy arms revolver.😄
The guy I was shooting with on the weekend was spittin and cursing at this revolver when he had yet another cap jam. He is a very impatient, short tempered bloke. As a joke I said "I'll give you $150 for it" he said "done deal". He really was ****** off. I let him calm down and called him this morning and he want's to go ahead with it, so I'm in.
Now I will have to get on top of the cap jam problem. I searched this forum and got a lot of information so I reckon I should be able sort it out.
Aside from the jamming problem the gun looks to be pretty good. For $150 bucks what the hell???

20 + yrs. ago , a friend and I were delivering a newly completed copy of a 1748 Edward Marshal rifle. Owner was so pleased , he presented me with an old powder horn as a bonus. The sad and unusual thing was , the fellow only owned the rifle for near three months , and passed away. He left a rich history of early American reenacting , and American Civil war participation and reenacting. The E.M. 1748 rifle went to his Nephew , and didn't leave the area. ..............oldwood

Latest posts

Back