• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your first ML rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was nothing special. A T/C .54 cal Hawken. It was kind of in need of a refinish (which I did). Ended up being a nice rifle. Do not recall what I traded it for though as that has been 32 years ago.

It is sure fun to read all the posts on this Thread.
Thompson Center must have sold a LOT of guns over the years. :haha:
My first ML "Rifle" was a Navy Arms Replica Zouave. Bought it new from a retail gun shop around 1968/69. Think I paid about $60.00 :haha: That paticular one was very accurate. Sold it years later for twice what I paid for it.

Rick :hatsoff:

my first ml was a brass frame .36 colt revolver in 1969 that lead to a Zoli Zouve. sold the Zoli and upgraded to a Navy Zoli and 60 colt. I then bought a T/C cap Hawken .50 then a T/C Flint Hawken .50.I still have all but that 60 colt.

My first and only one I've owned I bought back in the late nineties.
It's a .54 caliber Cabela's Hawken and it's a joy to shoot.
I've wanted so bad to get one maybe a little higher grade, but I just can't put this one out to pasture.
I don't need another gun as I've got way to many other rifles, and I keep talking myself out of it when the itch comes around.

Jimbo47 said:
I don't need another gun as I've got way to many other rifles, and I keep talking myself out of it when the itch comes around.

:shocked2: :shocked2: There ain't no such thing as too many!!! Get yerself a nice custom gun and keep the one you have active as well!!
:thumbsup:

Adui said:
Jimbo47 said:

:shocked2: :shocked2: There ain't no such thing as too many!!! Get yerself a nice custom gun and keep the one you have active as well!!
:thumbsup:

Adui

Not so, :nono: there is a point that you become overwhelmed. :surrender:
Sad but true. :(

I am not that way yet, maybe? :idunno:

Maybe I am a horder? :shocked2:

It is too much, but is it enough? :slap:

:blah:
William Alexander

أنا لست ارهابيا

You know you've got too many guns when they end up sitting in the safe and you forget what's in there. :confused:
I ain't getting any younger, and my days in the field aren't as many as before, but I'm still trying.

Jimbo47 said:
You know you've got too many guns when they end up sitting in the safe and you forget what's in there. :confused:

I can take them all out, clean and oil them, put them back in and not be able to remember what inside.

William Alexander

I know what you mean,it's the cycle of life took care of my dad in 16 till he passed and now my mother,I haven't found anyway
Around it just enyoy every day we have!

A Cabela's Sporterized Hawken in 54cal for my 12th birthday 21 years ago. Still have that rifle and my brother in law is using it for elk hunting this September.

Back in the 1960''s there was a place in the Five Boros of NYC called NUMRICH ARMS. Believe that was the name, it was prior to Federal Form 4473. Anyway they sold Civil War Surplus, Springfield Rifles. There cost under $25.00, and you could order UNISSUED for about $40.00 back then.

So I order a Springfiled (Model 1962), it was delivery to my door, it was still in cosmoline great. I little ray shot it for years, should have put it away, but we were dumb back then.

Cap & Ball Civasl War Surplis, deliver to you door by Railway Express, that has long been another American company that went belly up.

My first ML rifle was about 10 year ago or less, so I am still a newbie . . . I bought a used Traditions Crockett in .32. . hoping to squirrel hunt with it.

That was a mistake. Much too hard as a starter.

I could never get that rifle to group well. . in spite of it's reputation for accuracy.

My second rifle was a Lyman GPR flint in LH . . . piece of cake ! Two deer taken now, and near instant accuracy . . . but a larger target no doubt. I now own a .32 with a rice barrel and have the accuracy I wanted with the cute little crocket.

1968 for me. An Italian made kentucky with a two piece stock. I got it as a Christmas present. I just figured out that means this Christmas will be 50 years.

Native Arizonan said:
1968 for me. An Italian made kentucky with a two piece stock. I got it as a Christmas present. I just figured out that means this Christmas will be 50 years.
:eek:ff :metoo: :shocked2: :(

.45 underhammer H&A,Dixie Gun works Zouave, 1851 navy .36, a half stock 12 gauge from a neighbor. There all gone now. Had Allen Sandy make a .40 rifle and pistol set. Made a .58 jaeger and a .45 pistol myself. Will always have these.

Mark

Latest posts

Back