• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your favorite barrel length ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmvet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
If you were having a 20 ga smoothbore custom built for you, what barrel length would you use and why??

what are you going to use it for and what style of gun are you having built? Time period?

It depends on what type of gun it is. I like a 36" barrel on a NW trade gun. I have a Type D French gun with a 48" barrel. I wouldn't mind having one of Mike's buccaneers in a 52"+ barrel length. Maybe someday. As Mike said, it depends on the style of gun and what time period you are interested in portraying. :winking:

Pharmvet,
about eight years ago I had Getz make me a smoothbore 20 guage barrel to put on my yeager. I had him make it to the same outside profile as the .60 rifled barrel already on the gun. It is interchangeable now and is 31 inches long. It swings like an extension of my arm. I often win at clay rabbits and birds with it against men using 36 and 41 inch barrels. One disadvantage is that is is noisier than the longer barrels. I have had a twelve bore in 41 inch and I can't see any advantage due to length. Yes the twelve will deliver more shot but the 20 patterns just as well with the right loads. And it is no more finicky than the longer barreled twelve. Your experience may vary.
YAHWEH bless.
volatpluvia

It is probly more taste to the person really. I have a Virginia Fowler that is getting a Paris and Son 48 inch barrel swamped and choked. I like that long sight radius also considering I am older now and shorter sights are a bit much for the old eyes anymore.

Peter

pharmvet said:
Mike, why the longer barrels. Is is form, function or both.
Yep, both. In my experience , the longer the barrel the tighter shot pattern it will throw. Longer barrels have always shot RB better for me too.

I presently have a Fusil de Chasse with a 42 inch barrel. When I first got it about a year ago, it seemed that the barrel was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long. Not after shooting it alot, looking at pics of guns and their owners, it seems that a gun with about a 46 inch barrel would be nice. It seems it would make the gun look more graceful. I am 6 ft tall. Does it seem that loading the gun with a 46 inch barrel would be a problem??. I need your advice because I need to change my barrel order from 42 to longer if Im going to make the switch. Can you thing of any negatives to a 46 inch barrel?. Also, if you were considering a sling, would this make a difference in your choice? thanks

I thinkit is all a matter of personal taste and as Mike has suggested it depends on the projected use.I am Native and have two smoothbores, a 17th century fusil with a 43 1/2 " barrel and a 1740's English fowler with a 41" barrel.Both are comfortable to load and shoot as a reenactor and I'll be shooting live again next spring.As for a sling I use a finger woven sash about 2" wide tied on the trigger bow and extreme forestock end of the smoothbores.I haven't made a sling yet for my Marshall rifle but will come up with something.
Incidentally on the subject of long barrels there's a very early gun {possibly a smooth rifle} on sale right now on the web with a 73" full octagon tapered barrel in .68 cal.The auction house says 1655-1700 but I think it's later maybe 1740-1760.The gun is 90"{7' 6'} overall with a butt that is 2 1/2" wide by 6" high. I don't recall ever seeing one with that long a barrel before.Maybe that's long enough for Mike.
Tom Patton

I can't imagine anyone seeing a big disadvantage to a 46" barrel in your application. Maybe something like "I hit the doorframe with it leaving the house because the dog ran past me" or something. Here's why I have a 46" barrel on my 20 guage smoothy - the builder was offering a good deal on a 46" swamped barrel (vs. his standard 42" straight - no real choice there), it's more historically common on an early 18th century smoothbore, and no way is it less accurate than a shorter barrel.

I'm 6' even and have no problem handling it. Conversely when next to my wife, who is the "average" height for men in that period, it looks mighty long and she'd reach a good bit over her head to use it. Yet circa 46" was the standard military musket barrel length (French & English ) for most of the 18th century. What's the old adage - "Once you go long you never go back" ?? Your mileage may vary - good luck.

In addition to my present smoothbore project, I have a rifle project in mind at at later date. I feel that between the two (smoothie and rifle) I would like to have at least a 44 or 46 inch barrel. Which of those guns(smoothie or rifle) do you feel would be best employee that longer barrel. Also, as far as authenticity, were barrels usually even lengths (42,44,46,48) or were there 43,45,47 etc. Not that it really matters, just curious. Does the overall length of a barrel (smoothbore -- octogan to round )dictate the length of the octogan portion. I would like the rear sight foreward about the transition region (oct / rnd) while simultaneously keeping the balance point rearward of this sight (keep sight out of my hand on carrying the gun).

Back