• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Your favorite “eating” game, and how you prepare it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having done alot of hunting over years and eaten everything I've shot including, deer, bear, moose, elk, antelope, wild boar, various other anilmals and just about all small game.
I do have a favorite, Savory Squirrel. Actually, ground hog was the best but don't have a great recipe for it. I think you'll like the savory squirrel recipe.
And Cottontail. But I cant hunt them up here!

You must have lived on the east coast. Talkin like that. Not PA!
I dug the clams, grabbed the oysters.................but loved the blues in foil on the grill with lemon wedges and mustard!
Ever pull up a winter flounder in the clam rake? Or a lobster?
Spent a lot of time on the Great Bay. So, yes to the flounders. Mostly babies. No to the lobster.
Prepped those little snapper blues and stuck them on sticks like marshmallows. Charred crunchy surface and sweet oily meat beneath. But not a lot.
Always had 6 crab traps down off the dock of our parents' place on the west shore of the bay. Caught them and dumped them in a wire cage hung off the dock. Sundays they'd haul the cage and dump it on the shore. All of us kids would be running and stabbing crabs with ice picks. They went into a pasta sauce after we picked the meat. Today's society would jail parents for letting kids do what we did.
Far from clear today's society is any better at all.

Shrimp and grits, Good place too get it is Charleston S.C. at a place called the Warf. Real andouille ( no store bought stuff)and Tasso ham. I also like the boudin sausage there.

Been in Charleston a couple years but haven't bumped into this place - internet search and could only find this 'Wharf Market' place that seems to do... macaron baking classes???

And Cottontail. But I cant hunt them up here!

Call them what you want to, Rabbit, Cotten tail, Carrot chomper or bushy tail you can't beat it on a dinner plate! If the good Lord made anything better he kept it for himself! I had to edit,forgot to sayhow I like it,""""Fricasseed"""

Last edited:
Axis back strap. Marinated over night in Italian dressing, butterfly cut, apply cream cheese, shredded cheese, seeded jalapeño strips and onion. Close and wrap with thick bacon held with tooth picks. I really prefer to cut to length of a fish cooking basket and cook over real charcoal.

Axis back strap. Marinated over night in Italian dressing, butterfly cut, apply cream cheese, shredded cheese, seeded jalapeño strips and onion. Close and wrap with thick bacon held with tooth picks. I really prefer to cut to length of a fish cooking basket and cook over real charcoal.

Axis is good eating. My sister and her fam lived in the Texas Hill Country and kept me in Axis for years. Brother in law would shoot them off his porch. Good stuff.

Semper Smokey, My wrong just checked with the other half it was the landing, anyway I believe it was originally a navy pier or some type of navy facility, I do remember talking to the chef there and he was good enough too give us the recipe, problem where I live is finding the tasso ham. Also you fellas have some kind of small snack crackers that are excellent, I am going too have too make a trek too Charleston if we keep typing.

Semper Smokey, My wrong just checked with the other half it was the landing, anyway I believe it was originally a navy pier or some type of navy facility, I do remember talking to the chef there and he was good enough too give us the recipe, problem where I live is finding the tasso ham. Also you fellas have some kind of small snack crackers that are excellent, I am going too have too make a trek too Charleston if we keep typing.
I do not know if you will find tasso in Charleston. It is a south Louisiana thing. But give me any excuse and I'll be on the road to Cajun country.

Elk:

Very simple recipe
Pot roast in crock pot. Water up to top of roast. Some kikkoman soy sauce on roast. Cover with sliced onions. Covered in turn with roasted green chilis. Cook until tender. Good with garlic mashed taters and leftovers in burritos

Works even better in dutch oven

Peach venison chili, but I cant share the specifics........ ;) I have to hang at least one more plaque on the wall before I share. Competition cooking is fierce up here.
I won the competition 3 years running, then I was a judge, then covid shut it down. We should be back up and competing next spring. Then I will share it with my brothers. Its worth the wait. Trust me.:p

Ruffed grouse; marinated a couple hours in Italian dressing then grilled a couple minutes on each side, still pink in the middle. Doesnt get any better than that.

Any while most people dont like woodcock, we breast them out, then slice each side in half. Put them in a half a jalapeno pepper, topped with cream cheese, then wrapped with a slice of bacon. Grilled until the bacon is done.

Deer or elk roast, place in crock pot on low sprinkle a package of powdered McCormick aus jus and a pack of thousand islands powdered ranch mix on top, take a hole stick of butter and place on top of the seasoned roast put on lid cook 8 hours do not remove the lid just let it go, after 8 hours remove the meat add a can of sliced mushrooms 1 cup sour cream and if you like a splash of good red wine, the meat will be fall apart tender shred the meat return too the gravy in crock pot, cook some good egg noodles I use Kluskie egg noodles (do not skimp on the quality of noodles) spoon gravy meat mixture over noodles ( red neck stroganoff) and enjoy. I know sounds strange but try it. I will bet you never fix a roast any other way. You fellas down south probably heard it called a butter roast.

A couple more to add... #1) thin sliced venison soaked in milk overnight,stir fried rare w/ soy sauce, worcestershire, salt,pepper, remove and drain. Fry peppers,onions,mushrooms,water chestnuts,garlic, etc. With olive oil,soy sauce, brown sugar...then add back meat just to heat up before serving. #2 rabbit pot pie.... cook rabbit till tender in crockpot, de-bone and shred meat, add 1/2 can corn, 1/2 can peas, 1 can of cream chicken soup. pie crust... cut in 1/2 cup crisco, 11/2 cup flour, water to make it bind. Roll out for one pie crust top/bottom. Fill with filling, bake at 350 for around 1 hour or until crust is slightly brown. Tastes good enough to shame any chicken pot pie.

Boned deer roast, one pack of powdered aus jus, one pack of hidden valley powdered ranch dressing one stick of real butter place the roast in a slow cooker, place the powders on the top of the roast lay the stick of butter on top of the roast, slow cook 8 hrs., once everything is in the crock pot do not remove the lid till done. remove the roast while resting one can of mushroom stems and pieces and a cup of sour cream in the juice mix well and let heat , boil cluskeys real egg noodles ,noodles on plate, gravy on noodles, shredded meat on top, crusty bread and a good beer. I know sounds weird but do not knock it till you try it. The other one is pan fried rabbit and fried taters, also quail rubbed with Mc Cormick rotisserie seasoning wrapped in thick bacon grill just until done.
Sounds like a Mississippi pot roast, using venison instead of beef. Sounds good...

Tom A Hawk, the best way to cook a carp is bake it on a pine board then throw away the fish and eat the board.
When I was a kid, we'd throw carp in a 55 gallon barrel with a hose slowly dripping into it to keep the water fresh, and feed them corn meal for a week or so. Then we hung them by their tail, cut their throats like hogs and bled them. Seemed to firm up the meat, and get rid of the muddy taste.

Back