• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Your favorite “eating” game, and how you prepare it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruffed Grouse, prepared any way you wish. Mmmm...
Walk
I was on a hunting trip to northern Maine about 6 years ago. My buddy's son shot grouse nearly every day. He breasted out the birds, wrapped the meat in bacon with a jalapeno pepper tucked in there. Pan fried, man those were delicious.

One of my favorite meals is spaghetti: ground deer, pasta sauce made from Ms. Smiths pasta sauce recipe and roma tomatoes from the garden. For the noodles I steam a halved spaghetti squash until soft enough to fork the squash loose from the shell (use the shell for your bowl) then add in the sauce and a little parm cheese. Crushed red pepper adds a little bite to if you like hot stuff.

Without question it's elk meat for me. It doesn't matter how I cook it I love it. I can and do eat it everyday if I have enough to do that.

I hunt and eat mule deer but i'm not a fan. My dog is my only family and he has to eat too. He gets the bear meat and loves it..

I like it all but wild duck is my favorite. I bake a whole duck at 425 for 23 minutes, cut the breast out and slice it into medallions. I make rue from the drippings with onions, mushrooms and dry red wine. I cook up a pot of wild rice, place the medallions on the wild rice and cover everything with the red wine rue, it's fit to eat.

I like squirrel as well, cooked about any way. I usually pressure cook them for 12 minutes, batter and fry them then make a mushroom and onion gravy to simmer them in for a while.

Dove: fillet the breast, dip in flour, egg, flour with seasoning and fry in bacon grease. Serve with mashed potatoes. Gravy can be made to go with this by making a roux in the pan and adding milk.

Deer: So many ways! Steaks, roasts, stew, ribs in the crock pot with barbecue sauce and a little bourbon, soup, etc.

Squirrel: Roasted over a fire with some salt. Or treat like dove above.

Groundhog: boil and remove meat from bones when tender. Add curry to the meat and let it simmer 15-20 minutes. Serve over rice.
A mess of dove breasts braised in milk and Tabasco sauce.
Sauteed deer liver, but you have to do it asap after you kill the deer.

Last edited:
In my youth I enjoyed canned venison, rabbit, partridge, pheasant and squirrel. Small game hunting has not been good here for quite some time.

Here is a good corned venison recipe:

Ingredients
3-4 lb. venison roast
½ cup Morton’s Tender Quick
½ cup Canning Salt
¼ cup Sugar
2 quarts Water
3 Tbsp. Pickling Spices
12 black peppercorns
6-10 garlic cloves

Directions
In large pot, add the Tender Quick, canning salt, and sugar to the water and bring to boil. Once the sugar and salt are dissolved, transfer the brine to the refrigerator to cool completely.

Pour the cooled brine over venison roast in a plastic, glass or other non-reactive container. Add the peppercorns, pickling spices, and garlic cloves. You may have to weigh the roast down with a plate or board to keep it submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 5 to 7 days, stirring the brine every other day.

Remove the venison from the brine and rinse well. Discard the brine. Place the roast in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for at least 3 hours.

I was on a hunting trip to northern Maine about 6 years ago. My buddy's son shot grouse nearly every day. He breasted out the birds, wrapped the meat in bacon with a jalapeno pepper tucked in there. Pan fried, man those were delicious.
I love grouse, but have a hard time hitting enough of them to make a decent meal LOL.

Elk loin, cut thick, wrapped with thick cut bacon and well seasoned with salt and coarse ground black pepper. Grill over quakie wood coals to medium rare and served with Brook trout, the kids caught while you were fixing the fire. Fried ‘taters, my famous mile high buttermilk biscuits with butter and honey. Strong black coffee and a generous glass of Gentlemen Jack.

Fried squirrel rolled in corn flakes baked until tender and fried until crisp, mashed potatoes from the years production, gravy, green beans from the years production, tomatoes canned ,fresh, or stewed. maybe a desert of goose berry or black berry pie for desert. Not every time, but a swig of wine from the cellar.

Whats everyone’s favorite thing to eat that they hunt themselves? What is your recipe? I love everything but my favorite is probably wild hog tenderloin marinated in orange juice and honey. I also love “chicken-fried” Venison with white gravy
venison, preped way more ways then have time to wright about. love them all!!! 🍻

Alright fellas! I arrived at my family farm late last night and went to work this morning with the fowler! First encounter of the day was a cottonmouth at my feet...Now I LOVE snakes but not poisonous ones at my feet hissing. Shortly after I found a nice plump squirrel high up in a tree and landed all the shot in the head! The fowler performs amazingly. Now fellas! How should I cook this squirrel??? I wanna try something new

Attachments

• 5F2F4D60-D08C-4E54-86FE-A96D845F2942.jpeg
    5F2F4D60-D08C-4E54-86FE-A96D845F2942.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 394F6F1E-24B6-472E-BE5E-A341055D203E.jpeg
    394F6F1E-24B6-472E-BE5E-A341055D203E.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 350209DF-EBD6-400B-9AA9-63A29D5D0C24.jpeg
    350209DF-EBD6-400B-9AA9-63A29D5D0C24.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 81
Back