• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your choice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Since there isn't a board that deals directly with shotguns, I am assuming here is the place to put my question. I am thinking of buying a ML shotgun for all around purposes. Squirrel, rabbit and turkey. What gauge or caliber would be the best in your opinion?

TH

i have a 12 and 10 ga. and most the time i find myself grabbing the 10. no real reason, i just like it more. also you can load it light or HEAVY. but for a all around shotgun id go with a 20ga. works great for all small game and a PRB should drop anything you run across in the woods.

.62cal/.20ga or .54cal/.28ga both get it done easily for the game you mentioned at the distances those small game are normally taken.

Now if you start getting into all sorts of thinking like one day you might win the lottery and take a once in a lifetime moose hunting trip to Maine, then the .62cal would give you that flexibility.
You just have to be realistic with yourself in terms of what you're really going to use it for, year in and year out, and make the decision.

But for the game you listed in your original post, I'd never regret having a good .54cal/.28ga to hunt them...and they also shoot PRBs like a house-afire if you want to go deer hunting.

This is just me but for the hunting you listed Id go with a 20 ga an have it jug choked for turkey hunting and it would take care of the small game an like roundball said anything else that ya come across :hatsoff:

I already have a Hawken in 54 so this would strictly be a shotgun in my eyes. And yes a moose hunt is on my bucket list. I'm thinking the 10 is the way to go then. Load light for small game and heavier for bigger.

Can you reccomend a gun to look into? Don't want to spend a bunch and have another Hawkin I'd like to be able to trade in on one.

I'll defer to the others who have actual hands on experience with the .10ga as I've never owned one...

Nice thing about muzzle loading shotguns is you can tailor the load for whatever. I only have experience with 12 ga since that is all I have. A 12ga double, my favorite, and a New Englander.
Load it down for smaller game and put stout loads in for pheasant or ducks.
Don't forget trap! They are a lot of fun there too.

what barrel can you get? i wanted 20ga but the only barrels in stock were 24ga so that narrowed my decision as no choice but wait or build 24ga.

... what barrel can you get? ...

In modern shotguns I have four 20ga shotguns and I love each and every one. I love to shoot them.
I have eight 12 GA. But when things get going for more serious stuff like hunting, I always seem to pick one of my 12 GA shotguns.
So I am going to recommend you wait and get a 12 GA barrel and/or gun. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back