• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Your choice of flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Oak

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When I purchased my first flintlock several years ago I was given a large assortment of flints along with the rifle. Some seem to work better than others. Now my supply is running low and I have another new to me flinter arriving this week so it is time to resupply.
What do you prefer and who do you buy from?
I have heard good stuff about Tom Fuller and also a Pierce out of Missouri.
Are the double ended saw cut flints any good?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

I like the French amber flints because they last longer in my lock than the gray flints from Rich Pierce or the English black flints.

TOW has an OK price on them. Rich's flints are less expensive and work well but don't seem to last as long in my lock.

I usually get the English flints from track, quality has been consistent for the last 20 years. Now I;m making some of my own out of flint picked up along the rivers in the Dakota territory.

Patocazador said:
I like the French amber flints because they last longer in my lock than the gray flints from Rich Pierce or the English black flints.

TOW has an OK price on them. Rich's flints are less expensive and work well but don't seem to last as long in my lock.
A few months ago I ordered a half dozen of the French flints from TOW just because. Haven't tried them out yet. Am looking forward to that experiment.

yonderin said:
In my experience the sawn flints aren't worth wasting your money on.

Maybe it's just me.

:metoo: Plus if you use your rifle for more than 20 to 30 shots per year (say for competition or just a lot of range activity) those sawn flints will realy eat up your frizzen in a hurry !

walks with gun said:
Now I;m making some of my own out of flint picked up along the rivers in the Dakota territory.

We must walk different rivers in the Dakotas ?

William Alexander

I leaned to knapp arrow points about five years ago and began to save most of the flakes large enough to make gun flints from so now make all my own.
Keokuk chert makes excellent long lasting gun flints as good or better than the black English flints I was buying from TOW with no humps to deal with.
Also learning to pressure flake the edge with a pointed copper tool makes any flint last longer and preform better than percussion trimming the edge.
Grinding off the hump makes better flints as well which is easily done with a green carbide cutting wheel.

Toomuch said:
yonderin said:
In my experience the sawn flints aren't worth wasting your money on.

Maybe it's just me.

:metoo: Plus if you use your rifle for more than 20 to 30 shots per year (say for competition or just a lot of range activity) those sawn flints will really eat up your frizzen in a hurry !

Way back when.... I bought some of Gunter Stifter's swan flints from Germany. I was so impressed how long they lasted, what great sparks they threw and how gentle they were on the frizzen that I wrote (an unsolicited) review of them for Muzzle Blasts. Gunter saw the article and sent me a free generous supply. :grin: I used those almost exclusively for decades. One flint would last so long I would forget when I installed it in the rifle. His flints are made from several different rocks. (agate, jasper and others) Today his prices have gone up, way up, and his website is an impossibility to use unless you are fluent in German. OTOH, some sawn flints are far less satisfactory. Those once offered by TC are reportedly not desirable. Ceramic are not popular. (I have one unused, need to try just for kicks) Novaculite get mixed reviews and are very expensive. Bottom line: a general condemnation of sawn flints is unjustified.

So far all my flints have been TOTW black English flints and Rich's white flints. Not a lot to choose one over the other although I do lean a smidgen toward the English. I have a supply of mixed flints, some amber & some black and they work well and last a long time. The amber ones in the bunch really do last and last. I don't like the sawed agates; my experience is that they suck big time.

I have been using the white ones from Richard Pierce and they spark well and last long.

I think they look cool in the jaw of the lock too!!

jrmflintlock said:
I have been using the white ones from Richard Pierce and they spark well and last long.

I think they look cool in the jaw of the lock too!!

Actually, the holder of flints is called the cock.

When Rich was selling flints, they were quality, not sure how a flint looks "cool", can you explain cool???

His flints saved me in Phoenix when my line pistol lock failed, I was able to finish the match.

Unless something has recently changed, Tom Fuller is the fellow (actually his son is in charge now) who supplies the black English flints for Track of the Wolf. And yes, they are excellent flints.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

I confess that I buy my flints in person from sellers at Market Fairs or reenactments. I use the black, "English" flints...nothing blonde nothing "cut". I figure I might as well stock up as they are a) only going UP in price and b) aren't going to spoil sitting in a mason jar on my shelf.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I confess that I buy my flints in person from sellers at Market Fairs or reenactments. I use the black, "English" flints...nothing blonde nothing "cut". I figure I might as well stock up as they are a) only going UP in price and b) aren't going to spoil sitting in a mason jar on my shelf.

LD

Don't leave in sunlight though, they will melt. :shocked2: :wink:
Actually, I, also prefer to buy in person. Can recall, years ago a customer could just toss undesirable flints on the ground while searching for the best. Today, it would be tantamount to tossing five dollar bills on the ground. :doh:

Latest posts

Back